Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st time poster looking for Suggestions on what PEX materials/tools to use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time poster looking for Suggestions on what PEX materials/tools to use?

I have decided to replace the plumbing in my home with PEX tubing.
    I bought the "Cash Acme" brand multi-head PEX crimp tool kit, this is the compression type crimp tool for the brass PEX crimp rings.

I also bought "Sharkbite" brand PEX pipe, I have not used or even opened any of these materials, as I can easily return them.

I have since talked with a couple other experienced PEX tubing users, they suggest using a different tubing, a type of PEX that is expandable and has memory.

I also have found that there are many "favorite" fittings and systems to use PEX, so, I thought I would post here and see what the majority suggest.

This is my 1st post here, and I look forward to many more in the future.
    Last edited by rich121; 08-21-2009, 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: 1st time poster looking for Suggestions on what PEX materials/tools to use?

I have used a brand called " bowpex" with the crimp rings and crimp tools from a company called "waterline tools". I have also installed uponor wirsbo aquapex and I much prefer it, as the expansion method in my opinion is way better than the crimp rings.The last journeyman I worked under preferred it as well. Uponor is more expensive where I live but overall it is a better product in my opinion. I have also used Ipex kitec, but the fittings are discontinued so I haven't seen many people using it lately. Many other people have mentioned on the forum, they don't like pex. I can't remember who originally quoted this but someone said "the best pex is copper" and I very much agree with that statement. Copper has been around and trusted for many years and copper of a decent thickness (L or K) will provide excellent waterlines for many years. I enjoy the craftsmanship that goes into copper, and like to work with it whenever I get the chance.

Just my personal opinion,

Mark.

Comment

If I was on a tight budget I would go to Lowes and buy Zurn Pex and fittings. Why? They have a good selection and price. Zurn had problems with fittings cracking but that is supposed to be taken care of. And it uses the copper crimp ring system you have started buying. I myself love Viega Pex with there pureflow system of stainless crimps and bronze not brass fittings. All can be ordered online at pexsupply.com Very good clamping and no dezinc problem like brass has. Many people have their own prefrences Viega for pex is mine. Also consider copper as it has come down in price and it is tried and true product.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Thank you for the helpful replies.
        I want to use the best system. I have not opened any of the materials, so I can return them.
        If there is an issue with copper crimps, or if I should be using "A" PEX, or if the stainless type crimp or bronze type crimp are better, then I would like to know a complete system that I could use with each, as it is confusing as to what material is compatable with each other.

I am ready to install, I just need some guidance.

Comment

Type A does not mean it is rated as the best because of the A usage. It is just the manufacturing process used to make the pipe. As for the best that is hard as you will find different opinions based on what people use. So you can have a lot of different answers. Google pex information and you will get the info that explains and show compatibilty between the different pex's and fittings. Again I prefer Viega Pex Pure Flow system fittings and stainless crimps. Manual tools are available for these as well. I have used Zurn,wirsbo, and Viega and Viega is my choice because of the positive method of the stainless crimp.It uses no guage to test itself it is not needed. In my opinion it is best for a novice as an install method (less to go wrong)
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
            Type A does not mean it is rated as the best because of the A usage. It is just the manufacturing process used to make the pipe. As for the best that is hard as you will find different opinions based on what people use. So you can have a lot of different answers. Google pex information and you will get the info that explains and show compatibilty between the different pex's and fittings. Again I prefer Viega Pex Pure Flow system fittings and stainless crimps. Manual tools are available for these as well. I have used Zurn,wirsbo, and Viega and Viega is my choice because of the positive method of the stainless crimp.It uses no guage to test itself it is not needed. In my opinion it is best for a novice as an install method (less to go wrong)
            Been awhile since I took the class, but the type -A,B,Whatever- was just the extrusion process they used to crosslink it.
            Here is what I found on google, making sure I don't give out bad info

-Quote from a website-
            " There are 3 main type of Pex (Pex A, Pex B, Pex C) the type has to do with how the cross-linking is accomplished."

From the brief description I got, A is about 80% and the others are just worse. I am a big fan of Wirsbo Aquapex (Uponor) And they are type A. Fitting system is pretty good. It is also compatible with the copper crimp rings and fittings, but I think it does something to the warranty.

Definitely depends on your personal preferences tho. Some tools are expensive, and are only good for one method of joining pipe. And some pipes can not be joined with all methods, such as expansion. Make sure whoever you buy it from, knows what they are selling you.

And please consult a local plumber, most of them are good enough to give you some recommendations about what they are seeing success with in your area. Most of them will even give you some tips on how to join the pipe. Such as, for the expansion process you have to turn the head of the tool to groove the entire inside of the pipe to prevent any "passageway" formed from the tool sitting in one spot. But good luck!

Comment

I don't think it makes a bit of difference what pex or fitting method you use. Sooner or later it will all be included in the lawsuit
              sigpic

Comment

Hi,

There are a few / many different kinds of pex with new great advances coming out these days on the market place

Here are some brands, The wife and I have written about:

FlowGuard PEX Piping Potable Water Systems

Uponor ProPEX Systems Buyers Guide

Zurn PEX Review

GTPEX PEX Pipe Buyers Guide

Hope this helps you with your decision

Comment

Originally posted by rich121 View Post

This is my 1st post here, and I look forward to many more in the future.
                  BTW - Welcome to RIDGID Forum

Comment

We use Rehau the inventors of the pex system and have had no problems yet. Using it for 10 plus years.

Comment

Working...
                    X