Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drainer Cleaner Recommedation Question

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a drain cleaner for a commercial application at my job which will serve 2 purposes;

1. For routine toilet/line clogs which happens on a pretty regular basis. People flushing things that they shouldn't.

2. For old outside 4" parking lot drains that constantly clog with debris. When the drains were put in years ago they should have went with larger drainage lines, but now I have to deal with what exists. The parking lot drainage pipes run somewhere between 100' to 150' before empying into the city sewer. There are several grates in the lot that can be opened for cleaning access. All the pipes connect to form one line. If too much debris collects in the lines and we get a heavy rain, the lot floods and backs up to the front door of the building, so it is extremely important to keep these lines free and flowing.

I was thinking about the k-60 but would appreciate any opinions. A co-worker thinks he using a drum machine would be better?

Thanks for help in advance.

In a Rut

Re: Drainer Cleaner Recommedation Question

hire a company with a matainance agreement. that will come on a regular basis to keep the parking lot drain line clear. a lot less of a headach that way and you won't get hurt! if the parking lot is not yours contact the owner.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by rueyroo View Post
      Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a drain cleaner for a commercial application at my job which will serve 2 purposes;

1. For routine toilet/line clogs which happens on a pretty regular basis. People flushing things that they shouldn't.

2. For old outside 4" parking lot drains that constantly clog with debris. When the drains were put in years ago they should have went with larger drainage lines, but now I have to deal with what exists. The parking lot drainage pipes run somewhere between 100' to 150' before empying into the city sewer. There are several grates in the lot that can be opened for cleaning access. All the pipes connect to form one line. If too much debris collects in the lines and we get a heavy rain, the lot floods and backs up to the front door of the building, so it is extremely important to keep these lines free and flowing.

I was thinking about the k-60 but would appreciate any opinions. A co-worker thinks he using a drum machine would be better?

Thanks for help in advance.

In a Rut
      Have jetter will travel
      Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

your inside toilet issues sound like a good plunger or closet auger will do unless the problem is mere than a few feet past the toilet.

the outside parking lot sounds like a jetter would be the tool of choice.

with all the debris, the jetter would do a better, faster, and easier job.

before you dump big money on the jetter, get a pro out there to jet and see the results.

go ahead and spend the $10 on a good "grapefruit" plunger. or the $40. on a 6' closet auger.

the k-60 is an excellent choice for a machine that can do it all

but a plunger might be all you need for you toilet. and a jetter for outside area drains would be my first choice if i had the options.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I "echo" what Rick says above
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I would STRONGLY encourage you to avoid putting any drain cleaner down a toilet! It typically doesn't work, and then when you or a professional plumber has to clear the line the correct way, you are dealing with a toilet bowl full of very dangerous chemicals. When it comes to toilet clogs, either learn how to correctly use a plunger, or call a pro.

Comment

Yeah I echo the plunger comment totally. Buy one called the "plumbers helper" which is one my last journeyman had. I have one called "quickie" brand, it was in my house when I moved in and it works awesome, came with a brush too. Ridgid makes awesome closet augers too, they're a whole lot better than the ones at the hardware store. Buy yourself a reasonable sized inspection mirror too, as these are really good for viewing inside toilet traps. You can get them cheap and even get flexible ones at some of the smaller hardware stores, usually ones that sell mechanics tools. Try harbor freight, we have a store like that up here called princess auto and I bought a flexible mirror and magnet from there. The magnet can grab up to 5 lbs and extends over 3 feet, I haven't used it in drain cleaning but it never leaves my overalls in new construction. Most of the time large items get stuck in the trap itself and are usually pretty easy to remove by pulling the toilet and fishing it out through one end or the other, which is where the mirror/magnet/barbecue tongs help. Also, if you're going to be cleaning huge parking lot drains as others have mentioned check who owns the parking lot and get a drain cleaning company to do an annual jetting, usually around the time after the leaves come off your trees. Its cheaper than buying a jetter. Also try things like picking up the leaves before they end up in the drain with a sweeper or leaf-vacuum and do things like warn the people in the apartment they'll have to pay for drain cleaning when they do stupid stuff like flush whole tubes of toothpaste and bars of soap...that usually helps clear up a lot of drain problems!

Comment

Working...
              X