"Plastic" supply lines?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Plastic" supply lines?

I just toured a new home and it is one of the few I have seen with "plastic" supply lines for the hot and cold potable water.

I'm not a plumber but I'm an avid DIY'r and have always been a fan of copper.

I know there have been concerns with the polybutylene lines from the past. I assume these are no longer used.

The home is only 1 year old. Are there any concerns/advantages to these "plastic" supply lines? Are they durable and safe?

It seems repairs should be quite easy, though I'd rather not make them.

Any insights are appreciated.

Mike

EDIT: A bit more research suggests that this is probably PEX. I've been able to find a few more threads now. Seems the jury is still out.
    Last edited by BigM555; 08-22-2009, 01:48 PM.

Re: "Plastic" supply lines?

Hi,

Yes, Plastic is the future of plumbing, Its sad, but its the truth

Everything is plastic these days, Its safe and probably will last longer as well.

Comment

Do some research on what type of plastic the piping is, like take pics and post them on here and someone will tell you what it is, or look for a manufacturer labeled on the pipe itself. While I am a fan of copper I don't really have any beef with pex. I would still recommend strongly that you have the house inspected ESPECIALLY if it is new! I have seen WAY more problems with new houses where I live and it is often really difficult and expensive to fix them, as it leads to opening a huge can of worms.

Good luck with the whole buying/selling house thing, its stressful. I have moved 9 times in my life, it really sucks!

Comment

If i have to touch a plastic supply line.
        I change it to a Stainless steel braided flex line

Comment

if they are the pex supply lines, they're probably fine. I've installed a few thousand of them myself, and the only failure to date, was a helper that cut the line off a bit too short, and the line blew apart a few hours later.. on a friday night.

I usually use the 3/8 roll pex for supply lines on my dishwashers too. it's a pretty big cost savings over the braided no burst lines, and i've seen more than one or two of those that leak at the crimps.

It probably all comes down to personal preference, and for me, the pex supplies are a good product. I did roll copper for a long time too, especially on the old delta faucets that I could just sweat a 3/8 coupling onto.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
            if they are the pex supply lines, they're probably fine. I've installed a few thousand of them myself, and the only failure to date, was a helper that cut the line off a bit too short, and the line blew apart a few hours later.. on a friday night.

Agreed as well, Plastic supplies can last a long long time,

Comment

Working...
            X