X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing Code - Reaming

Does anyone know if there is a specifc plumbing code that covers reaming? I'm curious to know if inner and/or outer reaming is required after making a cut on copper or stainless steel. I know that most guys do it, but what's the law of the land?

Thanks.

Re: Plumbing Code - Reaming

Full bore

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      Full bore
      Know what I mean?

Nothing less accepted
      Nothing more needed

Comment

Under the UPC it is 310.3, 609.1, 701.2.1, 903.4, 1209.5.5 and a few places in the Installation Standards.

In the IPC it 605.14.3 and a few others

ASTM Standard is ASTM B 828

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I see something possibly developing here.
          Last year one of your event winners cheated.Full reaming is a required step in any pipe joining process.

Are we going to see the debut of the new and improved Ridgid copper reamer.

The grey inner/outer was HUGE.Anything more than service plumbing where you may have to ream ten pieces of copper a week and your wrist is going to be begging for mercy.

Do I see a Ridgid logo lasered into a Titinium step drill.
          How bout the Ridgid Red pencil reamer.

Comment

Yes, it is in the NSPC. Here are three, the first is for PVC, not copper.

2.4 FITTINGS AND CONNECTIONS IN DRAINAGE SYSTEMS
            2.4.3.b
            Comment #2: Failure to ream or deburr drainage piping constitutes an obstruction to flow.

4.1.2 Joint Standards
            a. Pipe and tube shall be cut 90° or perpendicular to the pipe center lines.
            b. The inside diameter of pipe and tube ends shall be reamed, filed, or smoothed to size of bore and all
            chips removed. All burrs on the outside of the pipe and butt ends shall be removed before the installation.
            c. Pipe and tube shall engage into fittings the full manufacturer’s design depth of the fitting socket.
            d. Male pipe threads shall be made of sufficient length to ensure the proper engagement.
            e. Pipe shall not extend into a fitting or other pipe to such a depth that it will impede or restrict the design
            flow.
            f. Joints made by bonding, welding, brazing, solvent cementing, soldering, burning, fusion or mechanical
            means shall be free from grease or other substances not specifically required to achieve a satisfactory joint.
            g. Pipe sealing or lubricating compound required for threaded pipe joints shall be applied to the male pipe
            end only and shall be insoluable and nontoxic.

4.2.5 Flared
            Flared joints for copper water tube shall be made with fittings complying with ASME B16.26. The tube shall
            be reamed and then expanded with an approved flaring tool
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

dave, have you built a better mouse trap

i was playing with a design and put it on the back burner.

i need to see your design and see if we're cooking the same recipe

i have my prototype at my shop and it does work

wanna sample what i cooked up

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Ridgid gives us some great tools. Wish They could give some plumbers a conscious to go along with it all.!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

How bout the Ridgid Red pencil reamer.
                  How about a step drill with an end on it so it can fit into my drills with the 1/4" quick connect? I'd buy that in a heart beat.

Comment

The grey inner/outer was HUGE.
                    I like the RIDGID design with their multiple blades.
                    I have an old (late 70s) Imperial Eastman reamer of similar
                    design that has only four blades. It works well and will
                    handle up to 1-1/2" copper both inside and outside. The
                    blades on the Imperial are replaceable which is nice as the
                    body is cast aluminum. I still use it but I am down to one
                    more spare set of blades left. Don't know if they are still
                    available today. A set of blades would last a long time even
                    when I was running copper all day.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-30-2009, 08:20 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I must be losing my mind. I know that i posted a thread before asking for a step drill bit with 1/2, 3/4 and 1" sizes just for reaming. Can't find it now. Has Ron been here? hahahaha
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        I must be losing my mind. I know that i posted a thread before asking for a step drill bit with 1/2, 3/4 and 1" sizes just for reaming. Can't find it now. Has Ron been here? hahahaha
                        You had to put it on a napkin when you were in high school for it to count.

J.C.

Comment

I'm serious JC, I know I posted that once but can't find it anywhere. I just went through all 400+ threads I've done. Notta
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

bob, i also have the blue colored eastman 4 blade reamer and it's very aggressive. works very good for inside and out.

the outside reamer is very important for propress and sharkbite type fittings.

the best performing non burr reamer is a pliers style that forces the copper back onto itself. the last thing we want in our valves are copper shavings that will cut seals and ruin very expensive valves.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              bob, i also have the blue colored eastman 4 blade reamer and it's very aggressive. works very good for inside and out.

the outside reamer is very important for propress and sharkbite type fittings.

the best performing non burr reamer is a pliers style that forces the copper back onto itself. the last thing we want in our valves are copper shavings that will cut seals and ruin very expensive valves.

rick.
                              I've asked this question a hundred times.
                              Why is it that outside reaming is a step when using tubing cutters.A person is running more of a risk leaving an egdge off those blades than just leaving the smooth beveled surface provided by the cutters.

If one was cutting with a toothed blade device I would of course agree,You need to knock down the sharp edges to protect the o-ring.

Were they outside reaming last year at the Roundup Competition?

I absolutetly agree on the burrs inside of pipe.It's hard reaming a drop in place.

Comment

Working...
                              X