X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water heater question

want to replace my 8yrs old 80 gal leaking water heater. I was told there are two different tanks:

Glass lined
    stainless steel

which one is better from you professinal point view.

thanks,

Re: water heater question

Are you looking at gas or electric? Never heard of a stainless heater, but I'm no expert at gas because of where I live. "Glass" lined is very common. To be blunt with you, depending on your water, most of the heaters today are of low quality. If you're looking at electric and want one that is efficient and will last many years(lifetime warranty on tank) take a look at Marathon electric heaters. Marathon was bought by Rheem a while back. Google that name and you will link to their site with lots of info and a video about how they're made. Very pricey, but you get what you pay for. You won't be replacing this for a long time and will probably save on your electric. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
      Are you looking at gas or electric? Never heard of a stainless heater, but I'm no expert at gas because of where I live. "Glass" lined is very common. To be blunt with you, depending on your water, most of the heaters today are of low quality. If you're looking at electric and want one that is efficient and will last many years(lifetime warranty on tank) take a look at Marathon electric heaters. Marathon was bought by Rheem a while back. Google that name and you will link to their site with lots of info and a video about how they're made. Very pricey, but you get what you pay for. You won't be replacing this for a long time and will probably save on your electric. Good luck!
      my water heater is an electric heater which is used with a solar panel system. here is the http://www.americanwaterheater.com/p...s.aspx?ID=1078

recently I found there are little water around the tank bottom. I will gradually dry if there is no sun shine but water will be seen if solar system is on. no idea why is that.

Comment

Who told you, a stainless residential water heater is available? Who is the manufacturer? I would be very interested in a tank like this even at the higher cost. This tank would basically last forever (the same reason it will probably never be made LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
          Who told you, a stainless residential water heater is available? Who is the manufacturer? I would be very interested in a tank like this even at the higher cost. This tank would basically last forever (the same reason it will probably never be made LOL)

We put these in every job we do.......
          Maybe I missed something?
          http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-81.pdf

These also
          http://www.triangletube.com/document...Literature.pdf
          Last edited by BrandonG; 08-28-2009, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Just curious, because we have no boilers here in So. Calif. ( of course you could boil an egg on the sidewalk yesterday!)....so what does a 50 gallon or so SS Superstor run$$$ ??

Comment

[QUOTE=housecarer;249215]my water heater is an electric heater which is used with a solar panel system. here is the http://www.americanwaterheater.com/p...s.aspx?ID=1078

recently I found there are little water around the tank bottom. I will gradually dry if there is no sun shine but water will be seen if solar system is on. no idea why is that.[/QUOTE]

based on that statement, your tank is not the problem. sounds more like a pump or an automatic hydronic type valve that's leaking.

a leaking tank will typically leak worse when up to temperature. an electric heaters tank tends to outlast a gas fired tank. but when they leak, it's usually big time.

dry everything and if need be, put an electric fan next to the heater to dry off the entire area and concrete. lay down some paper or cardboard and look for the source of the leak. pay close attention to valves and pumps. even the hose bibb or relief valve can be the issue.

post a few photos.

years ago they made both copper and monel gas heaters. if you were lucky enough to have one of those, then i never met you

my buddy steve had a few in his days and donated one to the local trade school. even his parents house had one and he finally swapped it due to gas valve issues after a good 50 years or so.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

jim, i wasn't cheating

we just think alike

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Brandon,
                  From what I see these stainless steel water heater do not have a gas burner on then. Look slike you need a separate boiler for them.

These also

Does anyone know of a stainless steel water heater with a conventional (or direct vent) gas burner on it?

Comment

My God where am I, you never heard of a stainless steel hot water unit we have been installing them for over ten years now, when they came out Rheem had the market sowen up in Aus with their glass units, glass woven onto there steel cylinders but did no more R&D and when the Aquamax came out they sent every plumber a Video telling us that aquamax's were crap and wouldn't last as they were the first to give a ten year warrenty on their cylinders when Rheem would only give a five year on theirs.

www.aquamax.com.au

Tony

Comment

check out the phoenix water heater also made by heat transfer products i believe those are stainless as well.

i added a link http://www.htproducts.com/phoenix.html

will set you back 8,000 or so for basic
                      Last edited by plumbworker; 08-29-2009, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                        Brandon,
                        From what I see these stainless steel water heater do not have a gas burner on then. Look slike you need a separate boiler for them.

These also

Does anyone know of a stainless steel water heater with a conventional (or direct vent) gas burner on it?

Sorry you did not state that.........

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;249265]
                          Originally posted by housecarer View Post
                          my water heater is an electric heater which is used with a solar panel system. here is the http://www.americanwaterheater.com/p...s.aspx?ID=1078

recently I found there are little water around the tank bottom. I will gradually dry if there is no sun shine but water will be seen if solar system is on. no idea why is that.[/QUOTE]

based on that statement, your tank is not the problem. sounds more like a pump or an automatic hydronic type valve that's leaking.

a leaking tank will typically leak worse when up to temperature. an electric heaters tank tends to outlast a gas fired tank. but when they leak, it's usually big time.

dry everything and if need be, put an electric fan next to the heater to dry off the entire area and concrete. lay down some paper or cardboard and look for the source of the leak. pay close attention to valves and pumps. even the hose bibb or relief valve can be the issue.

post a few photos.

years ago they made both copper and monel gas heaters. if you were lucky enough to have one of those, then i never met you

my buddy steve had a few in his days and donated one to the local trade school. even his parents house had one and he finally swapped it due to gas valve issues after a good 50 years or so.

rick.
                          yup and put a little dish under the relief valve tube, see if it gets water in it over a few days.

Comment

[QUOTE=MasterplumberKC;249399]
                            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

yup and put a little dish under the relief valve tube, see if it gets water in it over a few days.

It could be getting some thermal expansion when the sun is shining, and blowing off the t&p otherwise most solars (at least the ones I've messed with) just run on 1 1500w element.

Comment

Working...
                            X