Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Schedule 40 as TV Antenna Mast

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
    Analog t.v. is dead, so what's the antenna for? Are you communicating with the Mother Ship?
    we don't have cable. we have an antenna in the attic and get probably 50-60 digital over the air channels and most are high def.

the picture is great and the only thing i miss are shows on the discovery channel.

then again we have mount wilson where all the stations antennas are located. as long as it hasn't burned down, yet we're good.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      we don't have cable. we have an antenna in the attic and get probably 50-60 digital over the air channels and most are high def.

the picture is great and the only thing i miss are shows on the discovery channel.

then again we have mount wilson where all the stations antennas are located. as long as it hasn't burned down, yet we're good.

rick.

In contrast the closest TV broadcast tower is close to 40 miles away from me. Philly stations are 45 to 50 miles, NYC is over 180 miles, Baltimore is over 90 miles. Thee are areas out here where you can't even get cable, its a dish or nothing.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I knew going in there were forums related to antenna construction and expected some off-thread posts about satellite TV but specifically I need to know what tools are available to ream 1/16” or perhaps 1/8” from the inside of 1¼” sch40 steel pipe. I apologize for failing to mention the pipe is steel when I started the thread.

Without getting into antenna specifics and how many channels I’m receiving on my new chimney antenna, I was anxious to hear from plumbers about pipe and pipe tools so I could add a second antenna.
        I suppose I should provide additional data pertaining to my pipe app. The pipe is 24 feet long and is buried into asphalt and bolted to brick veneer. At the top, the pipe extends past the roof line only 12 inches. The antenna mast will be 16ga. 1¼” OD extending 10 feet above the roof with guy wires mounted just below the rotator. The 16 ga. tube will extend into the sch40 standpipe 48 inches and be able to slide down an additional 6 feet on the occasion I need to service the antenna or rotator so I need to ream the sch40 about 10 feet.

To remove the inside weld, I used a 12 foot ½” square drive extension and a gear reduction drill with a 1¼” Lenox hole-saw working slowly from each end. To keep the bit true I used a number of plastic pipe couplings along the extension. I was hoping someone here could tell me where I could buy larger bits or stones and what kind of grease would keep rust from seizing it all up?

Comment

Boeing (yeah, the aircraft company) makes a product called Boeshield T-9 that lubricates and protects metal from rusting. They claim it will cling for months to protect and lubricate so you may have to respray from time to time as regular preventive maintenance. It's available on-line; Google Boeshield T-9.

Comment

first off, cap the top of the mast to prevent water from entering the line. also attempt to install a rubber type boot around the joint between the 2 pipes to prevent more water from getting into the pipe. you also need to drill a drain hole at the base of the pipe above the ground to relive any water that might sneak in.

as far as grease, to use. i would use a marine type grease that holds up to water. i would also add a couple of grease zerk fittings on the main pipe to allow for grease to be pumped in for the future. with this tight of a fit, i would think that the top 1' would be most critical as the water seal would depend on it.

why haven't you looked into 1'' sch 40 pipe for your mast. it should fit real nice into the 1.25'' sch. 40 base pipe. and it's already galvanized

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Analog t.v. is dead, so what's the antenna for? Are you communicating with the Mother Ship?
              just for the information, Analog TV via translator is alive and well, and may be yet for a good number of years to come, the only ones to date have been the stations them selves, the translators have a number of years yet to convert,

(no it does not make sense to me either),

any channel we received from a station is now digital, and since were fringe it is the craps unless one wants to watch pixlated stills, about 50% of the time, and the stations we get via a TV translator are still analog and that is fun too, as you have the analog fuzz and the digital fringe pixlation and no signal crap,

GOVERNMENT can't even change frequencies on TV with out disaster, and now want to run your heath care.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

out where we live, we are 60 miles from broadcast tv. there is no cable. satellite and it doesn't work when it rains or snows. nice...........bhd. you should have voted for dr paul. about the only thing the govt is good for is killing people and starting wars. breid...................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  out where we live, we are 60 miles from broadcast tv. there is no cable. satellite and it doesn't work when it rains or snows. nice...........bhd. you should have voted for dr paul. about the only thing the govt is good for is killing people and starting wars. breid...................
                  I prefer calling it: Culling the herd and active diplomacy.

Comment

Wifey said get-r-done TODAY! (she was tired of all the noise in the basement) so I took back the 1 1/4 sch40 in-favor of 1 1/2 and the guy recognized it as a piece of metric left over from a contractor job, nothing matched it.
                    Even though I'm not a plumber, some days I feel like one.
                    Thanks guys for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                      Alright, that gave me a headache beyond the one I got for denting the only s.s., 4-hole, single compartment kitchen sink in 3 counties....aaaaargh.

I thought Obama killed the t.v. antenna thing and you had to get cable?

We don't have t.v. because I hate t.v.---we got Netflix and cable internet. I do not know why we got cable when we can't get a supply of s.s., 4-hole, single compartment kitchen sinks.
                      (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Alright, that gave me a headache beyond the one I got for denting the only s.s., 4-hole, single compartment kitchen sink in 3 counties....aaaaargh.

I thought Obama killed the t.v. antenna thing and you had to get cable?

We don't have t.v. because I hate t.v.---we got Netflix and cable internet. I do not know why we got cable when we can't get a supply of s.s., 4-hole, single compartment kitchen sinks.
                        he killed the analog signal. made everything go digital.

we had a non digital tv in a room and it's just for the wii and my dirty movies

sewer dvd's

the converter boxes took the digital signal and allowed it to work on an analog tv.

the over the air digital/ high def. picture here is wild.

no time for cable tv here.

the ridgid forum is all i need for entertainment

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X