Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shower stall floor support - what do you use?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower stall floor support - what do you use?

The shower stalls in my home were installed without setting them in mortar or drywall mud to support the floor of the shower. They creak and I don't want them to crack so I was thinking about forcing some mortar or drywall mud near the drain from the basement. During new home construction, what is used? I would think drywall mud would shrink too much. Mortar or something else?

Re: Shower stall floor support - what do you use?

A lot of guys use structo-lite. You could probably put some in a grout bag and squeeze it in through your access point. It is a fast setting basecoat plaster that doesn't shrink. Don't ever use drywall compound. As you mentioned, it shrinks alot.

Comment

Thinset mortar is what I have used.

Comment

structo-lite is the best ,but if you don't wont to pull the base try the insulation form

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't find Structo-Lite. Would plain mortar mix work OK or would it also shrink too much?

There is enough of a cutout in the subfloor that I can pack it in underneath the shower stall from the basement.

Comment

If you have to use mortar, use precision non shrinking grout. You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowe's. It comes in 50lb bags and sets up quickly (about 20-30 minutes).

Comment

I couldn't find Structo-Lite but I did find Quickrete non-shrink precision grout at Home Depot. I'll pick up a bag of that early next week. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Block the drains. Fill them as full of water as possible. Then get crazy with the Great Stuff.

Don't worry about using gloves. Wipes right off.

J.C.

Comment

Here in Florida you must preslope all shower-pans prior to inspection,they just changed the code in 2007 so any water will go into the weep holes of conventional PVC sch 40 shower pan drains, some guys use sand mix and silicone the drains to the pans,some use a Styrofoam pitching system similar to what roofers use on flat roofs, I prefer 1 part Portland cement,1 part sand mix, and mix it very dry but workable, I use Teflon pipe dope for the drain connection and have never had a issue although some plumbers insist on wax rings or silicone caulk,my inspector here in St Petersburg Fl is one of the worst but knows his stuff inside & out,to many plumbers think they know more then the inspectors and I am sure this is true in some places but not here in my town,been in the trade fro 14 years and have only proved him wrong on minor things,and the guy is decent he will admit when he is wrong but its rare,I usually only research it when a bit of money is involved.

Comment

I think the OP is talking about a one piece shower stall, fiberglass or acrylic, like a Lasco or similar.

Comment

i use brick layers morter.

Comment

I mixed up a batch of Quikrete Precision Non-Shrink grout last night and got about half of it grouted by forcing it underneath where the drain pipe connects. When the unit was installed, the hole in the subfloor for the drain was cut in the wrong spot and the Silent-Floor joist was hacked away so there was another joist installed about 6" away. I just packed as much grout as I could with my hand in the farthest point, then cut a piece of plywood and mounded the grout on top of the plywood and fastened it in place with screws.

The shower floor is much more solid now - tonight, I am going to grout the remainder - There isn't as much room on the other side of the drain so I'm going to use a grout bag and squirt it in there.

Comment

Working...
                        X