X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC to copper to Cast connection

I had to replace a bath tub in a 40 year old Ranch house. For the new connection I installed a PVC drain from the tub which is then connected to the originally installed copper or bronze pipe with a rubber sleeve. This copper/bronze pipe reduces the size of the cast iron drain pipe to the 1 1/4" copper/bronze. The copper/bronze is stuffed onto the cast iron joint just above the P-drain with some sort of sealer around it. When I did the leak test - filling the tub and then letting it drain...I started getting a slow leak when the tub was about 1/2 empty. The leak is where the copper/bronze pipe goes into the cast connection. Any thoughts how to stop this leak? Do I try to scoop out the sealer and reseal with something? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Re: PVC to copper to Cast connection

Pictures would certainly help. I'm only guessing - but it could be an old oakum and PC4 joint. Re caulking the joint would be your best bet if this is the case. Or just be true to your handyman roots - slap some silicone on it and call it a day. Call a pro
    Last edited by doubleD; 09-02-2009, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Cut out as far as you can and replace with plastic or call a pro.

Comment

They have neoprene gaskets you can use. The supply houses here call hem TY seals. They are made by Tyler pipe company.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
          They have neoprene gaskets you can use. The supply houses here call hem TY seals. They are made by Tyler pipe company.
          You have the choice of a 22U or 22UX .The UX is for the older heavier cast.
          22 meaning 2" cast hub to 2" pipe.

Comment

Thanks all - I was hoping it was that simple.

Comment

Without picture would you mind if I speculated as well.

Sounds like a rubber mission or fernco bell reducer on top of the trap.
              The leak when the tub is half way down indicates to me a drain stoppage.

Clean the trap off.
              Clear drain.
              Like a Jay Mpls said cut out what cast iron you need due to blockages or upgraded fittings that won't fit.

Comment

Working...
              X