The Spitting Sink

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Spitting Sink

Do you have some thing that you can slide thru the over flow and see it come out in the popup ?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      No trap, no tailpiece...still does it!

Tried to get the 9.5mm micro head down the overflow but I could only see about 2" before it turned. The other sink did the same so it's not a flap floating around in there.

The holes at the base of the sink that connect the overflow were normal size, not small like the overflow hole.

Has ANYONE ever seen this happen?....first for me.
      What's a sink? We'uns is still washing down at the creek in the South.

I can't say I have really. The fact that the sink is sustaining that fill level must be what's causing it. Think of the p-trap as a soft clog maybe. Then the faucet puts out x volume, the pop-up & sink design will only allow y through, so you get a varying positive pressure through the overflow causing periodic spitting.

How's that for cornball?

Longer distances to vent may make it worse. An AAV trap arm might help, might not.

J.C.

Comment

When you replaced the sink, did you put the same pop-up in the new sink?

If not, try a different pop up.

It's not the vent (I agree saysflushable; it is NEVER the vent).

Try spinning the top off the stopper and putting a washer under it to raise it up by that much... is something goofy underneath keeping the thing from popping up all the way?

Cool thread! Just when you think you've seen it all.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          When you replaced the sink, did you put the same pop-up in the new sink?

If not, try a different pop up.

It's not the vent (I agree saysflushable; it is NEVER the vent).

Try spinning the top off the stopper and putting a washer under it to raise it up by that much... is something goofy underneath keeping the thing from popping up all the way?

Cool thread! Just when you think you've seen it all.
          Yeah, I think you're right. I just reread. No trap, no tailpiece, still does it. No pop up in there doesn't.

Only leaves the pop-up. Try what Ace says. Or put in a different pop-up altogether.

J.C.

Comment

crack, just so i get the crack award install a wye branch tailpiece and raise the 7/8'' hose as high up as you can into the cabinet.

this will allow for the pressure to equalize and there will not be anymore burping.

can you also install a swivel aerator to move the flow pattern off the pop up top

we all know that a sink with no overflow does not drain as well as a sink with an overflow.

the issue is with the lack of equal air pressure in the tailpiece section.

i still like the red dye and baby jesus idea. we can make a mint selling it on ebay

bill, a large chocolate shake is all you owe me

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I bet...you'll find that there's a very smalle port that serves that overflow hole at some point and since those ported overflow slots are always the path to the overflow, it's most likely acting like a small tube and it doesn't take much to push water back and up.

With the trap off and it doing it in a bucket means it is in the workmanship of the bowl, nothing else.

Just because it happened twice doesn't mean anything with the products bought these days.

Seems like high water pressure to fill a bowl to that height while draining.

I personally wish that they would ban overflows on sinks. They work, but harbor the most horrible of germs.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The same pop up assembly was used on both sinks. The tech that installed it said it was a normal Delta that came with the faucet. Nothing unusual. Looked normal to me yesterday but I didn't remove it. I saw no unusual amounts of putty squeezing out.

I should say that the bucket I used was very small and was nearing the top when it started to gurgle but didn't actually perculate. Seemed like it would have in a few seconds though.

The video I posted was a very condensed version. I have a 10 minute vid of pretty much the same thing if anyone thinks that may help explain whats going on.

Dunbar is probably right about the small port opening on the overflow causing some sort of pressure differential. Habitat has most of their building materials donated so these are the bottom of the barrel rejects being installed. It wouldn't surprise me that there is a trailer full of vanity tops with the same potential problem sitting on site.

Comment

Can you grind away a small section of the fin on the stopper on the side with the port...it will make less turbulance

Comment

I don't have any techs working for me, just plumbers. Replace the drain assembly, being careful to align the side holes with those of the bowl. And, easy on the putty.
                    BTW:Mo, Larry and Curley would be proud of that video.

Comment

I personally wish that they would ban overflows on sinks. They work, but harbor the most horrible of germs.
                      Thats for sure, and no simple way to effectively clean them either, which of course is why they are a germ factory.

Easiest way is leave the stopper in and flood the sink with HW and some disinfectant and let it drain through the overflow. Seems the simplest way to get something down there.

I wonder about some obstruction inside the overflow, maybe a loose piece of clay or some other crud left over from casting, or some other obstruction inside the tube that causes air to accumulate then gurgle out pushing a slug of water ahead of it as someone else (was it BHD?) said earlier.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

It's holding water because it's running with cold all the way open. It doesn't get any higher than what you see in the vid. The drain keeps up with the flow. Won't start to burp right away either, only when it runs for a while.

Wierd...I know

The homeowner gets her chin wet while brushing her teeth

I see what the problem is now. It's a brand new state of the art "green" sink. The "spiting" is actually a reminder for the user to conserve water. No need to run the water the entire time your brushing your teeth or washing your hands.

Pack up your tools and remind the HO how fortunate they are to have cutting edge technology. Heck, Rick doesn't even have one of those yet.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Is it possible to swap the faucet with one from one of the other houses that does not "spit" and see if the problem persists or if it moves to a different house? If the problem moves with the faucet, then it is something with the faucet. If it stays, then it has to be someting with the sink or the venting. Just a thought.

Comment

The same pop up assembly was used on both sinks.

Do I smell a bingo? I'd be so curious I'd just have to swap popups with another, non-spitting sink to see.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i was going to say the same thing change the pop up

is there more water pressure at this house
                              it only does it when the water is on high

did you try it with the hot water it has a different molecular structure to the water and may have a different result

bring the sink with you next week and we can play with it
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8QojbmpQ8g

Take a look at the video and tell me why the overflow hole spits water 6" high. The drain is perfectly clear. All new PVC plumbing roughed in by me. The builder has already replaced the sink which obviously didn't correct the problem. Ran the Micro Drain down the line and no problems found. Starts to burb water after about 45 seconds. No burping with pop-up installed.

10 other houses EXACTLY the same. None have this problem

What Up?

something isn't right here, are you certain this isn't a prank?????

Comment

Working...
                                X