Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spitting Sink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8QojbmpQ8g

Take a look at the video and tell me why the overflow hole spits water 6" high. The drain is perfectly clear. All new PVC plumbing roughed in by me. The builder has already replaced the sink which obviously didn't correct the problem. Ran the Micro Drain down the line and no problems found. Starts to burb water after about 45 seconds. No burping with pop-up installed.

10 other houses EXACTLY the same. None have this problem

What Up?
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 09-03-2009, 09:38 PM. Reason: NO BURPING WITH STOPPER REMOVED

Re: The Spitting Sink

10 others?
    Replaced New sink?

Try a new drain assembly yet?

Are you sure your sure drain and vent are clear.

How's the overflow porting in comparison to other 9 sinks?

Comment

I would check the vent and if you already checked that, I would check the vent.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

bill and i spoke this morning after joey woke me up before 6

glad to see that bill, adam and mark all all on the same page

since the drain doesn't act up with the pop up stopper removed, then it's a pressure issue. i noticed that you had a decent amount of standing water in the sink. if you run the sink slow and not allow it to build up in the bowl, will it still do it?

you already checked the vent and the overflow.

of course the fact that you've already changed this sink top and it continues, bothers me. also the other 10 are fine

it's still a venting issue as it works fine with no stopper.

here is my fix to test it. install a wye branch tailpiece/ ac condensate tailpiece. extend the wye with 7/8'' hose above the flood level rim and see if it still burps. do it as a test before you install it as a permanent fix

it shouldn't. the wye will allow for better breathing between the trap and the drain. now just run the hose up as high into the top of the cabinet under counter as possible. make sure it's higher than the counter top or you could have a leak.

also a better sink with better overflow porting will correct the problem.

add some red dye to the overflow next time to make it bleed, then you'll have a news worthy video add a reflection of baby jesus and someone will buy the sink and you can replace it with a high end sink and counter top.

see bill, i told you i'd get this figured out

see you in a few days

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

does the faucet set any different on the sink, even just a 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch, is it hitting directly into the drain?

I am wondering if the aerator and the flow of water is not introducing air in to the drain and the air coming back up the over flow is not then pushing some water back out as the air comes out,
          to test the idea just divert the flow of water slightly
          I think you said it didn't do it with the pop up installed, so the flow of water is not directed into the drain, then.

just an Idea,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Horizontal arm down the wall?

If so, what's the fall on it?

What's the distance?

J.C.

Comment

I would take off the trap and put a 5 gal buc under the drain ...
              then Fill the lav up and you will find out if its the popup or the drain problem

Comment

I did the bucket trick and still the same but not as bad, so it must be related to the sink and/or faucet.

The faucet does hit directly on the stopper. Adjusted the stopper up and down with no difference. Tried diverting the water off the stopper and saw no burping but I did hear some gurgling.

It must be the way the bubbles from the aerator are collapsing under the stopper creating some sort of micro explosions I'm sure there's a science term for this phenom.

Maybe I'll call Mrs. Mcgullicutty (my 8th grade chemistry teacher) if she's still alive she would know.

If this wasn't a Habitat for Humanity house we would just change the faucet and be done with it. Can't do that here. No one house can be different/better than the one next door.

And why arn't they all doing it?

Comment

You say in the first post it doesn't do it with the pop up installed. Well just leave in the pop up.

The video shows what your talking about, so I must assume that the pop up is NOT installed in the video. Why does it keep holding so much water?

That looks like positive pressure related to a venting/drain issue. Doesn't mean you did anything wrong necessarily. Someone could have dropped something in the vent/drain or remodeled your original design without you knowing.

Interesting.

J.C.

Comment

My bad....

it doesn't do it when the stopper is REMOVED

It's holding water because it's running with cold all the way open. It doesn't get any higher than what you see in the vid. The drain keeps up with the flow. Won't start to burp right away either, only when it runs for a while.

Wierd...I know

The homeowner gets her chin wet while brushing her teeth

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

And it's this type of racism that is dragging our country into the gutter.
                      Could you explain to me why pigmies have to live with inadequate functioning features while 9 other non-pigmies do not?

Answer me this riddle Batman...Please!

Spitting on Pigmies.Shame
                      Last edited by drtyhands; 09-03-2009, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        My bad....

it doesn't do it when the stopper is REMOVED

It's holding water because it's running with cold all the way open. It doesn't get any higher than what you see in the vid. The drain keeps up with the flow. Won't start to burp right away either, only when it runs for a while.

Wierd...I know

The time differential is what bothers me. I can't let it go. I need to know why.

Does it do this with the p-trap on into the 5 gallon bucket?

I know you said that you removed the trap and got similar results but not as bad.

If it behaves the same way testing it with the p-trap then that eliminates the DWV altogether.

Put a lower flow aerator on it. Maybe a .5 gpm vandal proof.

That'll stop that b!tch from wasting water.

I guess being inefficient is how you could end you up in a HFH house.

J.C.

Comment

IM going to jump out there on this one
                          you said the sink drains good,,can there be i small flap left on the over flow outlet from manufacturing
                          causing a venturi effect when the water goes down the drain ,, and the excess air bubbles from the flap lets it burp
                          just a thought.

Comment

You did say it does it into a bucket? I'm assuming that is from the tail piece straight into the bucket. no trap. I just want to prove it is not the vent. IT is never the vent. I don't care if the problem persists, I just want to prove it is never the vent.

Comment

No trap, no tailpiece...still does it!

Tried to get the 9.5mm micro head down the overflow but I could only see about 2" before it turned. The other sink did the same so it's not a flap floating around in there.

The holes at the base of the sink that connect the overflow were normal size, not small like the overflow hole.

Has ANYONE ever seen this happen?....first for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X