X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add expansion tank to water heater

I need to add an expansion tank into my water heater which is part of a solar hot water system. I think the plumber installed this water heater was not careful enough because he was messed up the solar in and solar out. I corrected it with your help here. Now I want to add an expansion tank and hope it will solve the strange tank leaking issue. Looks like I have to reorganize the cold water supply line because there is no place for me to add it onto the existing layout. I will extend the cold water line to have a horizontal line for the expansion tank. Before I touch them, I want to ask you experts here first.

1. Do i need to add a Pressure Vaccuum Breaker to prevent reverse flow?
    2. Do I need to add a Water Pressure Regulator to adjust water pressure?
    3. Any thing missing in the existing cold water supply line?

thanks,
    Attached Files

Re: add expansion tank to water heater

Not sure an expansion tank will stop a leaky water heater from leaking.
    Where is it leaking?

You want free flow to and from the expansion tank.

I don't see unions on any of the lines which they are required by code.
    Last edited by EasyEman; 09-04-2009, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
      Where is it leaking?.
      please refer to here: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27826

I don't see unions on any of the lines which they are required by code.
      why needs unions, for easy maintainance/replace water heater? -- I see now. It is for joint of different material.
      Last edited by housecarer; 09-04-2009, 08:39 PM.

Comment

A plumber installed that?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          A plumber installed that?
          I guss it was installed by a plumber.

Comment

If you don't know where the water is coming you need to locate it to figure out how to fix it. An expansion tank won't help.

Comment

If you don't know where the water is coming you need to locate it to figure out how to fix it. An expansion tank won't help.
              I checked all places with towel, paper. Cannot find anywhere leaking. just found water on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by housecarer View Post
                I checked all places with towel, paper. Cannot find anywhere leaking. just found water on the floor.

Sounds like you might need new storage tank. They do leak after time. That is why most manufacturers only warranty them for six or so years.

Comment

looks like you have a vacuum breaker there .

Comment

Originally posted by housecarer View Post
                    I need to add an expansion tank into my water heater which is part of a solar hot water system. I think the plumber installed this water heater was not careful enough because he was messed up the solar in and solar out. I corrected it with your help here. Now I want to add an expansion tank and hope it will solve the strange tank leaking issue. Looks like I have to reorganize the cold water supply line because there is no place for me to add it onto the existing layout. I will extend the cold water line to have a horizontal line for the expansion tank. Before I touch them, I want to ask you experts here first.

1. Do i need to add a Pressure Vaccuum Breaker to prevent reverse flow?
                    2. Do I need to add a Water Pressure Regulator to adjust water pressure?
                    3. Any thing missing in the existing cold water supply line?

thanks,

You need to make darn sure the leak is coming from a relief valve or and expansion tank will not solve the problem.

You my friend should call a plumber.

Comment

Working...
                    X