Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've wondered about this for a long time but never asked.

.....why are fire hydrants flushed periodically? it may be a no-brainer but enlighten me (us) anyway.please?

Re: i've wondered about this for a long time but never asked.

Get's the rust and any crap that may have settled in the valve out.

Flushing the valves positively tests whether or not it opens and closed tightly. (regular exercise is good)

Gives the firemen something to do

It's fun for kids to play in on hot days

Washes the beer cans and condoms into the storm drains
    sigpic

Comment

^ what he said

Valves need to be exercised regularly or they become unreliable. The fire hydrant has to be reliable, can you imagine them hooking a truck up to that hydrant and finding that the valve's corroded closed? a bad day would be had by all.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Also flushing the hydrants get the water mains to run full flow which helps scour the water main pipes clean.

If they just open the hydrant run it for a minute or two then shut it down they are just clearing out the hydrant and exercising the valve. If they run it for 20 minutes or so then they are flushing the mains.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          Also flushing the hydrants get the water mains to run full flow which helps scour the water main pipes clean.

If they just open the hydrant run it for a minute or two then shut it down they are just clearing out the hydrant and exercising the valve. If they run it for 20 minutes or so then they are flushing the mains.
          Which is why everyone needs a good backflow preventer program

Comment

they are checking to make sure they have adequate flow available in the mains for when they need it.

they also stay on top of their blue, little markers in the street to help locate a hydrant at night.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

.......thanks for the replies. makes good sense. too bad i don't have an early warning of the event so i could get my daily shower out of the way and do laundry BEFORE the rush of rust thru the lines start. i've thought of installing a whole house filter with re-route valving to be used when the water unexpectedly starts running crappy.

Comment

Firemen in my area flush out the fire hydrants so that I will clean out all of my little strainers on my faucets, and then take apart my shower heads for cleaning. I've always accused them of being in cahoots with the local plumbing companies so they will know to expect calls about low water flow after the fire hydrant cleaning. My opinion, David

Comment

Working...
                X