X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

Hey guys, I need some help. I bought a house which was built in 1950. It is on city water and had a septic system at one point, but now on city sewers. It has copper water pipes with cast iron DWV. I found this tank in the basement near the water meter which I have never seen before. I'd like to know what you think it was for. What is it? It's about 4 feet high and has 1/2" cut copper pipes on the top going into the 2 valves. I don't believe the property had/has a well... Was it part of an old well system?
    Any info is appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: What is this?

Softner

Comment

Also known as a water softener. Unlike conventional water softeners that is a tank which when depleted it is replaced with a fresh tank and then the depleted tank is taken off site to be replenished.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Also known as a water softener. Unlike conventional water softeners that is a tank which when depleted it is replaced with a fresh tank and then the depleted tank is taken off site to be replenished.

Mark
        Thanks Mark.I was just trying to get something up fast so I could be the first one to respond.Anyone impressed?

Member when the "Culligan Man" made his route rustling up the dogs in the neighborhood.

Comment

...ok water softner. but would this be used with city water? I'm now trying to determine if the propery had well at some point.

Thanks so much guys.

Comment

softeners get used on city water a lot. just depends on how your municipal water is.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
              ...ok water softner. but would this be used with city water? I'm now trying to determine if the propery had well at some point.

Thanks so much guys.
              Out here it was a private provider.
              No reason one would not put it on a well if they wish

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post

Thanks so much guys.
                I live in a valley of 300,000 people all on City Water. We are no longer allowed to have regenerating water softeners because the sodium in the discharge both enters our ground water and enters the Santa Clara River after the sewage treatment plant. We have real hard water and the only way to soften it is with tanks just like that and delivered by the Culligan Man.

Mark
                Attached Files
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

out here if you have city water you dont need a softener
                  there are a lot of people on well water that dont need a softener
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

As a follow up question:
                    Does anyone know if there is any worthwhile metal inside this baby? The outside is galvanized plate, but maybe there is some copper parts inside$$$? Should I bother to open it? I got to get this tank out of the house period- but maybe I can salvage some copper/brass (besides the valves) from the inside? Just ask'n-
                    Thanks,

Comment

Just the valves on top. The inside is full of tiny plastic beads. Sorry no platinum.

Comment

Thank you so much

Comment

The only thin inside is a 8-10 cross linked high acid resin. Looks like caviar. The tank and the resin are worthless, since most softener exchange companies use the cheapest resin on the market for there exchange service.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            I live in a valley of 300,000 people all on City Water. We are no longer allowed to have regenerating water softeners because the sodium in the discharge both enters our ground water and enters the Santa Clara River after the sewage treatment plant.

PM if you want to know the real truth as to why this happened. I was personally involved with this dating back to 1999.

Comment

Working...
                            X