X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Water Heaters

Just wanted to pick you guys brains on these water heaters. I have always used Rheem. Just opened up an account with Ferguson Enterprises and that is what they stock and sale. They are quiet a bit less than Rheem. Maybe a 100 bucks or so. Thanks for any heads up.

Re: State Water Heaters

I use them all the time and have not have any problems. I like them better then ruud and they have not had recalls like ruud,
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

State has had their problems. Bad pilot tubes, leaking gas, sooting up the flue.
      Whole electric heaters, wiring harness installed but not connected to the t-stats or elements.
      Mike

Comment

Seen some problems with their FVIR heaters. Fusible link giving problems in the pilot. Corderite combustion chamber difficult to clean and DON'T get it wet.

Also, Power Vent Honeywell controlled ignition systems can be finicky.

All things considered, I choose to avoid A.O.Smith/State Gas systems when Rheem or Bradford White are available.

J.C.

Comment

This project will have all electric. Any troubles there?

Comment

I have not but Myakka ^ says that he has. Rewiring is not that big a deal but you shouldn't have to do it. I doubt you would have any unwired.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Seen some problems with their FVIR heaters. Fusible link giving problems in the pilot. Corderite combustion chamber difficult to clean and DON'T get it wet.

Also, Power Vent Honeywell controlled ignition systems can be finicky.

All things considered, I choose to avoid A.O.Smith/State Gas systems when Rheem or Bradford White are available.

J.C.
              One of my supply houses just switched from Rheem to A O Smith, I'm not sure I like that. I have never had a problem with Rheem. I may be getting my heaters from the other supply house which carries Bradford White. As far as tankless its Noritz with Rinnai being second choice.
              The Other Rick

Comment

I had so much bad luck with State tanks that there is now no chance I would go back to them. The local wholesale that used to flog them has also dropped them in favor of Giant tanks.

Comment

Almost forgot, I really enjoyed when they went with non standard size elements. What an improvement(sarcasm)

Comment

State and AO Smith are both manufactured at the same location in Ashland City, TN. They use the same basic design as American Water Heater, who owns them both.

Comment

Bradford white , i listen to my wise brothers ! The apprentice
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I've had a lot of trouble with A O Smith electric heaters lately....bad elements, bad t-stats, one even had a crack in the weld on the hot outlet after 7 years. So far so good with Bradford white. I like the s/s anode and elements that they come with.

Comment

Funny you should ask. Yesterday I changed out a 50 gal. elec. A.O.Smith, 3rd story attic, 12 ft ceilings, that split so badly on the side it bulged the jacket. It was less than 3 yrs old. This is not the first one I've seen do that. Granted, it could have been from rough handling at the supply house or trucking line.
                          Among the plumbers that I know, State has a bad reputation but, I can't say for sure why.
                          Ruud had a batch of bad gas valves, but I must say, that did finally pony up $160 that I billed them for diagnostics and replacement.
                          Last week I worked on a Bradford White electric that the foam insulation had gotten behind the upper thermostat and pushed it away from the tank a couple of inches.
                          On the whole, I will stick with Bradford White. The least problems and they fit in most places.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I install the plain ole 50 gallon sates all the time. Never really seen any issues with them. Not like whirlpools....

Just sucks that I have to tell my customers that they are looking at life expectancy of 10 years. But as far as eles go, can't help ya there

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                              Just wanted to pick you guys brains on these water heaters. I have always used Rheem. Just opened up an account with Ferguson Enterprises and that is what they stock and sale. They are quiet a bit less than Rheem. Maybe a 100 bucks or so. Thanks for any heads up.
                              Bradford White is hard to beat IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X