Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downspout Drain

Hello,
    I am not sure this is a real plumbing question, but I know plumblers see everything so maybe you can help.
    My builder used that black corrigated looking drain pipe to take the gutter water away from my house. However I found that he ran it all into one. Both downspouts go into one and it goes about 18" underground across the back of my house and out to the front. I would have prefered that he run each end out to its own side but now I have it across the back of the house and have noticed some moisture at times. How can I tell if there is a leak without digging it all up? I have poured about six gallons of water in the far side and never saw any go by the other down spout, but do not know how much water it would take to show up on the other side 60 feet away. It has been there 6 years. Does this stuff hold up well? Is it prone to leaks?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    TPS

Re: Downspout Drain

So what is the issue? If you feel like it is leaking dig up the wet spot. Stick a hose in one end and let it run. You should be able to tell.

Comment

EasyEman,
      Well, there is no real wet spot per se, the ground against the basement wall just seems moist all along it. I guess I am just trying to figure out if that type of drain pipe is prone to leak or not and I have run a hose and it seemed to take a lot of water before it went by the other down spout. So I wasn't sure if it was leaking along the way before it ran out or if it just takes a lot of water to travel the 60' down to the next spout. I am on a hill so water does not seem to stand on the surface as much to show leaks. I really was not clear when I wrote the question. Thanks-TPS

Comment

cleared one last week. they are prone to roots. lots of roots. 120' with 80' of roots. go out in a heavy rain and check if corrugated is over flowing. may need to be cleaned. word to the wise here. poly looks indestructible. it ain't. be very careful using augers as they will chew up the poly very fast. if it needs cleaned make sure they know what they are doing. i don't have a jetter. it might work better. this is not a diy job unless your an excavator. breid...........

Comment

If you and I are talking about the same thing,that black corrugated pipe you have is what we call "weeping tile" . Its perforated (has holes cut in it) to let water in/out gradually, which may be why you aren't seeing any come out the other end. It could be just draining out through the holes in the weeping tile before it reaches the end. As you mentioned your builder, I'm assuming this is a brand new house. I find it strange that the downspouts are tied into the weeping tile (if this is the case) because where I live it is only done in old houses. Where I live, weeping tile is required to have a sock to keep the dirt out as water from the lawn around the foundation drains into it as well. Maybe yours might be clogged up with dirt or roots as bried mentioned and might not be letting the water flow out the other end? I would recommend calling the builder back to check this out while your warranty is still good. He should get a guy with a see-snake to come look in your weeping tile even if its just to confirm it is OK.
          It is hard to say about the "leak" factor as weeping tile is full of holes, but then again, maybe you have a different material.

Comment

Marklar89,
            This looks like that flex-drain pipe, I do not think it is supposed to have any leaks or holes in it, I was not sure how well they hold up etc. especially where they connect up. I don't want any water leaking out behind the basement contact wall. That is what concerns me. This is not a builder I expect to get any help from, but I have thought about the snake idea but thought it would be very costly-I still may check into it before doing anything because the work to replace etc would be tough in this clay and where it is located.
            Thanks for the help and input guys
            TPS

Comment

Your builder used JUNK [ Elephant trunk ] is out lawed by most city's here. We use sdr 35 with clean outs. Who knows what is underground.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

the one i shot was not perforated. but couplings just snap on. big problem. if you have perf pipe. either round hole or slice you will never keep the roots out. dig it man. breid...............

Comment

Thanks guys,
                  I agree with you toolaholic. I was thinking of going with sched 40 PVC and digging back and pushing it through the existing pipe since it is a little bigger and getting it past the house anyway and putting in PVC down spouts. I hope the elephant trunk as you call it is straight enough to do this, it is a straight shot across. Any downside to this in your opinion?
                  breid 1903 thanks for the reply I like it except for what I knew-dig it man!
                  Thanks for the input and replies guys-TPS

Comment

Post some pictures....

Corrugated pipe that is perforated would not be ideal next to the house..

However 25' + away from the house I cant see perforated being a problem.(You could always buy non-perforated) and the get coupler to connect it to the perforated at a comfortable distance from the house. As it would simply leach into the ground. (dependent on your soil type) clay your going to have a soggy swampy lawn near the pipe

***Note the coupler/adapters are not watertight. So you may get leakage but for the most part the majority of the water will go into the perforated

As other have mentioned if you have several trees near where the pipe is the potential exists for roots to grow into etc

The other consideration is how much surface area based on your area (roof area) annual rainfall (sqft) your trying to dump into ultimately one 4'' pipe (you said they were connected) I have a link @ home that I will try to find later that show how many GPM gallons per minute a certain diameter pipe can hold..

You then need to go here and determine the surface area GPM
                    (select 1.0 Asphalt roof) in Step 2

http://www.ndspro.com/specbinder/cal...calculator.php

This will help you determine if the pipe where it connects into one pipe can handle that much water

I have a catch basin in which my downspouts are directly piped into. ( this allows you to catch debris leaves etc) before it eneters the pipe.. I then have sdr 35 (sewer pipe) coming off the catch basin daylighted down grade away from the house

Your really should be here for this question

http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123

tool around this site
                    http://www.ndspro.com/specbinder/
                    Last edited by fall50; 09-15-2009, 03:23 PM.

Comment

A little concrete wall moisture test for You. Take some clear plastic. duck tape it to the wall.
                      You'll see how much moisture collects. You NEED to dig and do it proper Uncle Tool
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Wow, great ideas and I apreciate the information and links fall50 and all. The pipe is not perforated and there are no trees close by. I have thought I may just disconnect the pipe running behind the house. Since both downspouts are at each end of the house I will dig a new trench going out the other side of the house on one side and reconnect with a connection going into the pipe already going out the other side and have water running away from the house in opposite directions and have no water running in the pipe behind the house at all, just leave it there with nothing attached to it. If what I am trying to say makes any sense.
                        Thanks for all the good information and ideas gentlemen.
                        TPS

Comment

your concern is moisture in the basement, correct?

You only suspect a problem with the downspout drains, and if such a problem exists, it is possible, not certain, that it is making your moisture.

I'd say by all means do the due diligence to make the downspout drains what they need to be, but I suspect your issue has more to do with your foundation drain and/or surface grade near the house. I suggest you think about that before you do a bunch of digging to fix downspout drains that may or may not have anything to do with the problem you are trying to address. You may end up with nice new bomber downspout drains and still have the moisture problem, and have to re dig everything you just dug up and more to get to the foundation drains.

Also, a nice surface grade sloped away from the house (swale the yard if you need to) goes a long way towards eliminating moisture problems in some cases. take a hard look at how the ground around your house is sloped and where runoff is going to end up.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                          X