X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater

I was down doing some laundry tonight and the water heated kicked on. Now its rather humid outside higher dewpoint but not that hot. Now the chimney is lined and its water heater is vented up through it. I got brief whiff of gas. I wasn't to concerned as it quickly dissipated. Now the basement is fairly tight rim joist sprayed with spray foam and 2'' glued to walls etc. However I have a 6'' fresh air combustion pipe next to the water heater.

My guess is when its humid outside that its hard for the exhaust to intitially make it all the way up the pipe. hence the brief smell.....After the water heater stays running I dont really smell anything.

Should I be concerned This was the only combustion appliance running @ the time

Re: Water Heater

Take your nose all around the gas pipes and make sure nothing is amiss.
    You should not smell gas.

Comment

Most gas companies will come out and use an electric gas sniffer to track down any leaks for free and tag them for you.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

take a small stick light the end on fire letting it burn a little then blow it out and hold it at the top of the water heater to see if you have a draft when it is just the pilot on
        dont do this after the heater has bin running do it with a cold stack

did you soap all gas fittings
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          take a small stick light the end on fire letting it burn a little then blow it out and hold it at the top of the water heater to see if you have a draft when it is just the pilot on
          dont do this after the heater has bin running do it with a cold stack

did you soap all gas fittings

I had a job where they where complaining about a strong sewer smell in a unit. I looked at everything, floor drains unused bathroom. I was about to open the clean out on the stack next to the water heater to drop a smoke bomb in it when the smell hit me, nearly knocked me out. Was a down draft from the water heaters flue piping. I looked up on the roof and the flue pipe stopped inches from the roof and right next to it was the 4" soil pipe right next to it exact same height. They told me the heater was only a month old and it was bout the same time the new heater with new flue pipes where put in is when they noticed the sewer smell. Turned out Mr Handy Man shortened the flue pipe on the roof said it was unnecessary to have it 5 foot tall on the roof. I added the 5 feet with the rain cap and problem solved, no more back draft and no more smells.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Their is no gas leaks around the pipes......My buddy who is a plumber did a bubble test last year when he re-ran the gas pipe. Again this is a brief second of a faint smell of gas when it water heater fires up. Its a 12 year old Rudd..

Comment

Different idea....the main return plenum for the furnance J's into the actual furnance within 3ft...the water heater The dam furnance is oversized and the blower speed is on high.....I just wonder when the A/C is on for example and the water heater calls for heat I wonder if it's pulling a minute amnt of gas when water heater fires?

I just turned on the hot water and sniffed right off the floor....next to the heater didnt smell anything... Furnance was off

Comment

Working...
              X