Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Going rate for installing gas line

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    Hey Tool, I won't even crack my eyes open in the morning for a hundred bucks.
    Don't hang with many old Irishman ,do You
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      I really need the work.I'll do it for fifty
      $49.99 Adam understands old Irishman !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I am an old Irishman
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
          Hey Tool, with rates like that I'm gonna call you for ALL my gas work from now on. LOL

Greg
          WHERE YOU BEEN SON?? Glad I woke You up. 15 years ago I charged $13 per ft.
          for gas. ME BAD . Give Me a call

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            I am an old Irishman
            You , Me and Dunbar could do standup. How about " This old KLAUS "
            ANYBODY CAN RUN Gas, get Martha Stewards CD

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
              For $50, I'll even include lunch!

I just got off the phone with the only guy who's looked at the job so far. He wants ~ $400 for ~ 50' of black pipe. He figured at least 3 hours. The pressure test is included, but there was no discussion of me doing any cut and patch, so I assume it's included. Hooking up th brass wall gas valve (required in this town) is part of the basic fireplace installation cost, which is another $400, and is inline with competitors.

At $400 for the gas line, now I'm thinking of just having him break into the existing line and install the tee....to save $100-$200 labor, I'm fairly sure I can run the rest up to the wall valve.
              Fairly sure? I can tell you that I would never partially install gas piping. Too much liability. Now my name is on the permit. Picture this-Homeowner disturbs existing piping, gas leaks, house blows up, people die.... But Mr. Inspector, I only installed the union and gas cock! Let a licensed professional do it!

Comment

Originally posted by RealLivePlumber View Post
                Fairly sure? I can tell you that I would never partially install gas piping. Too much liability. Now my name is on the permit. Picture this-Homeowner disturbs existing piping, gas leaks, house blows up, people die.... But Mr. Inspector, I only installed the union and gas cock! Let a licensed professional do it!
                You can Help , My brothers may add to the list. #1 remove all children and pets
                #2 serve a good lunch. Pay promptly ,and a little gift Cert. will be remembered big time
                when You need a good plumber!

Comment

Well, I'm half Irish....shouldn't I only pay half the going rate?

"Fairly sure? I can tell you that I would never partially install gas piping. Too much liability..."

Spoke to the contractor about my idea of running the rest of the pipe, and he had similar concerns. Looks like I'm just gonna have to pony up and pay the man.

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

#3 Don't call me, especially not at 6 A.M to discuss my price or to tell me that ABC company will do it for $20 cheaper.
                    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

heh I am willing to bet that the cost just for a gas permit to do the work you are gonna pay 50 to 100 dollars depending on where you are.

Comment

Not in S.F. WAY HIGHER!

Comment

Update - I ended up running 43 feet of black pipe myself, including 2 tees, 2 valves, 10 elbows, and one union. "Tinker Toys for big boys"! Kind of a PITA, but it's done, is right, and the price was affordable. The permit was $40, the parts were ~ $125, and I paid the contractor $75 to check and leak test the line. There's now flame in our new fireplace!

Thanks to all for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                            Update - I ended up running 43 feet of black pipe myself, including 2 tees, 2 valves, 10 elbows, and one union. "Tinker Toys for big boys"! Kind of a PITA, but it's done, is right, and the price was affordable. The permit was $40, the parts were ~ $125, and I paid the contractor $75 to check and leak test the line. There's now flame in our new fireplace!

Thanks to all for the input.

Good job brother. How did they pressure test the line?

Enjoy the new fireplace!

Best,
                            Joe

Comment

Congratulations hewood.
                              Cozy firestarter just in time for winter.

How much time can one actually look forward to putting into something like this?How does a homeowner find a kind plumber willing to help/explain.Did you rent the threader?

Comment

The lowes here will cut and thread the pipe for you if you bring them your cutsheet. Rather discouraging.

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                                Congratulations hewood.
                                Cozy firestarter just in time for winter.

How much time can one actually look forward to putting into something like this?How does a homeowner find a kind plumber willing to help/explain.Did you rent the threader?
                                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                                X