X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going rate for installing gas line

Hi gang - We're installing a gas fireplace in our living room. What's the approximate going rate for installing gas line? We're going from 1" main down to 3/4", and will need ~ 45 feet (~ 30' is a straight shot) ...it'll including breaking and threading the 1", a 1" to 3/4" reducer, a shut off, and 4 elbows.

Re: Going rate for installing gas line

I'd charge about $100 ,including materials.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Site conditions and local labor rates make your question unanswerable with any accuracy.

Comment

$100.00 seems much to CHEAP here in Michigan

Your geographical location determins the going rate for the job!

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
          Hi gang - We're installing a gas fireplace in our living room. What's the approximate going rate for installing gas line? We're going from 1" main down to 3/4", and will need ~ 45 feet (~ 30' is a straight shot) ...it'll including breaking and threading the 1", a 1" to 3/4" reducer, a shut off, and 4 elbows.
          Site unseen, we could not give you a good estimate. Labor rates vary wildly. I would comment around here a good plumber is $100 to answer the phone. Right off the cuff, I don't see how you could get that job done under $500. Best bet is to call a couple of guys. They may not want to come and estimate, but they will give you their rates, and you either say "come and do it" or call someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Maybe I can find a cheap plane ticket and hire you to do it!

I'm not really sure what contractor labor rates are like around here...we're not in the most expensive area, but it's overly oppressed either. The guestimates from the fireplace stores were in the $250 range, but that was without an actual contractor looking at it. One places quoted $7/ft, so I'd guess something in the $100-$500 range should be expected...hopefully somewhere in the middle (or less!)

Thanks for the answers.

Comment

Hey Tool, I won't even crack my eyes open in the morning for a hundred bucks.
              sigpic

Comment

I really need the work.I'll do it for fifty

Comment

Maybe I can find a cheap plane ticket and hire you to do it!

I'm not really sure what contractor labor rates are like around here...we're not in the most expensive area, but it's overly oppressed either. The guestimates from the fireplace stores were in the $250 range, but that was without an actual contractor looking at it. One places quoted $7/ft, so I'd guess something in the $100-$500 range should be expected...hopefully somewhere in the middle (or less!)

Thanks for the answers.
                  They could gharge extra for cutting in a tee and Inspection pressure test.
                  Are you doing all the cut and patch?

Comment

For $50, I'll even include lunch!

I just got off the phone with the only guy who's looked at the job so far. He wants ~ $400 for ~ 50' of black pipe. He figured at least 3 hours. The pressure test is included, but there was no discussion of me doing any cut and patch, so I assume it's included. Hooking up th brass wall gas valve (required in this town) is part of the basic fireplace installation cost, which is another $400, and is inline with competitors.

At $400 for the gas line, now I'm thinking of just having him break into the existing line and install the tee....to save $100-$200 labor, I'm fairly sure I can run the rest up to the wall valve.
                    Last edited by hewood; 09-19-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Fairly Sure?........sssssssssSSSS BOOM
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

Hey Tool, with rates like that I'm gonna call you for ALL my gas work from now on. LOL

Greg

Comment

I just got off the phone with the only guy who's looked at the job so far. He wants ~ $400 for ~ 50' of black pipe. He figured at least 3 hours. The pressure test is included, but there was no discussion of me doing any cut and patch, so I assume it's included. Hooking up th brass wall gas valve (required in this town) is part of the basic fireplace installation cost, which is another $400, and is inline with competitors.

At $400 for the gas line, now I'm thinking of just having him break into the existing line and install the tee....to save $100-$200 labor, I'm fairly sure I can run the rest up to the wall valve.
                          The cutting? maybe, but as for the patching...I wouldn't assume anything.

Comment

How do you know "breaking into the existing line" is the proper way to do it? what if your existing system is already supplying the maximum BTU load?

Here is how I would handle the situation.

Pay a professional to come out and size your system, determine what you need to add the fireplace to your gas sytem, meaning he will probably have to size it.

then take that estimate and get 2 others.

Get a referall of a good plumber from your close network of friends so you know you can trust that he is skilled to size your system.

Pay me now or pay me later.....

Do it right the first time. $450 is not alot of $$
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                              $100.00 seems much to CHEAP here in Michigan

Your geographical location determins the going rate for the job!
                              You obviously don't understand IRISH humor .
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X