Sink P-trap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sink P-trap

My vanity sink is offset from the horiz. PVC drain rough in by about 7 inches. The standard p-trap only allows around 3-4 inches of horiz. adjustment. Is there a quick and dirty way to make up the difference?

Re: Sink P-trap

if the drain line is plastic/ abs/pvc, then a simple 45 will do the job on the waste arm.

if it's gal pipe, then it's a little harder to accomplish. typically a durham 45 and nipple is required. of course cutting the gal pipe short and attaching a plastic 45 with no hub band is possible too.

do not change the elevation of the trap as the vent and distance from the trap to the vent is critical. keep the piping at 1/4'' per foot and you're fine.

offsetting the sink tailpiece is not a good idea, but is legal if you have the room. very common on handicap sink installations. this would be my last choice if there were no others.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

So, you're saying I make up the distance using the standard 1 1/2" PVC to get over where I can mate it to the thin walled P-trap assembly?

Comment

yes. if you already have sch. 40 pvc dwv, then a simple 45 dwv will work perfect.

dwv= drain, waste, vent.

do not use pvc pressure fittings like for a pool or sprinklers. the difference is the dwv fittings have recessed sockets to allow for a smooth flow transition, were as the pressure fittings don't. along with the tight turn and sweeps.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
        X