X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: supprised tonight

Yah, and don't forget the EXTRA cost in INSURANCE premiums. I had to pay $100 more on a $500 premium since the furnace is oil. The extra $100 is for oil spill contamination to the soil. $100 a year over the time you live in that house will add up quickly....and if you ever have to rebuild your chimney to keep an oil furnace, you will see that power vent natural gas is the way to go.

OIL...

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Freebies and rebates aside, your plumber was correct. There are 140,000 btu's in a gallon of # 2 fuel oil and an equivalent amount of nat gas has around 85-90,000 btu's.
      It's this very reason why you may also have to change your ductwork if you switch. Same thing when people go from gas to a heat pump.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        It's this very reason why you may also have to change your ductwork if you switch. Same thing when people go from gas to a heat pump.
        I did not know that

Comment

I have never seen duct work changed when going from a modern oil to a NG furnace, yes for the old octopus furnaces. I thought we were talking about a boiler system here but there are so many threads from this OP it is hard to keep track

Comment

Wbrooks, I also have never seen ductwork changed on a modern oil (1960 to 2009) to natural gas conversion. Octopus ducting yes, not not modern ducting. Set the new natural gas furnace thermostat at 70oF and aways she goes. (obviously you would install the right sized BTU furnace for your needs).
            I have seen high efficiency natural gas furnaces from about 56,000 BTU to 125,000 BTU, anyone know of a larger than 125,000 BTU high efficiency natural gas furnace? (I have seen a two furnace install on a massive house).

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              ben i see your point but it still is based on the total CFM the system puts out .you size the gas btus the same you will get the same heat out of it ,but you may use mor gas but it is still cheeper then oil in the long run

in the 20 yrs from when i changed from oil to gas all i have to do is clean any dust that gets around my burner ,oil i would have filter changes and tune ups ,chimney cleaned out a couple times and have to put up with the nois od an oil burner
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                Wbrooks, I also have never seen ductwork changed on a modern oil (1960 to 2009) to natural gas conversion. Octopus ducting yes, not not modern ducting. Set the new natural gas furnace thermostat at 70oF and aways she goes. (obviously you would install the right sized BTU furnace for your needs).
                I have seen high efficiency natural gas furnaces from about 56,000 BTU to 125,000 BTU, anyone know of a larger than 125,000 BTU high efficiency natural gas furnace? (I have seen a two furnace install on a massive house).
                we had to put 3 units together [commercial building ] to get the right heat output ,this was split systems .if we could have gon with a roof top we would have had enough .
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by mtburdick View Post
                  Just a few points id like to make real quick. After working for a oil company for a few years and then working with a plumber who only does natural gas these are a few things that come to mind when dealing with oil
                  1. With natural gas you dont have to worry about getting sonagrams done on your tank.
                  2. You never have to worry about the tank failing and oil being throught your basement or all over your yard. Thats a very hefty expense if it should ever happen.
                  3. No fuel filters that need to be replaced yearly.
                  4. Oil equipment needs to be tuned up yearly. Where with natural gas you can get away with out tuning it up for about 5 years.
                  Im sure there are a few things im forgetting but. I personally would say without having those things to pay for that gas would still be worth it even if it was a little more expensive.

OMFG did you really just say that??? Show me one installation manual that says you can hold off for 5 years!!!! For any gas boiler.......Even Vissemann!!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    The smell that sticks to EVERYTHING!!!!!

You obviously never had an experienced tech help you out......Funny just i have had quite a few customers of ours compliment me on how they can't smell oil when I am done with them.......QUALITY IS NEVER AN ACCIDENT!!
                    Last edited by BrandonG; 09-24-2009, 10:10 PM. Reason: Experienced???? spelling

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                      I have never seen duct work changed when going from a modern oil to a NG furnace, yes for the old octopus furnaces. I thought we were talking about a boiler system here but there are so many threads from this OP it is hard to keep track
                      I just caught we talking about a boiler, I thought we're talking a furnace. Scratch that.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

There are two to three posters on this thread that have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

Gas appliances need to be serviced yearly, just like oil appliances do.

Oil appliances in the 85% + efficiency range, burn just as clean as any gas appliance.

Oil appliances do not give off carbon monoxide if there is a venting problem

Oil appliances do not blow your house off the foundation if there is a fuel leak.

I can find no insurance company anywhere that charges more if you have an oil tank. where did that crap come from?

Anyone wishing to really educate themselves on the difference in operating costs and the pro's and con's should log on to www.nora-oilheat.org/ and do some reading.

This thread is a perfect example of the ignorant attempting to educate.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          There are two to three posters on this thread that have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

Oil appliances in the 85% + efficiency range, burn just as clean as any gas appliance.

Oil appliances do not blow your house off the foundation if there is a fuel leak.

I can find no insurance company anywhere that charges more if you have an oil tank. where did that crap come from?

Anyone wishing to really educate themselves on the difference in operating costs and the pro's and con's should log on to www.nora-oilheat.org/ and do some reading.

This thread is a perfect example of the ignorant attempting to educate.
                          I always understood that improper combustion of any fossil fuel appliance including oil would give off carbon monoxide.

I would be interested to hear otherwise

Comment

Oil-fired central heating systems are not particularly dangerous as sources of carbon monoxide. This is not because oil-fired units cannot produce carbon monoxide; they can. However, most oil burners operating without enough combustion air will produce smoke, soot and odors before they produce significant amounts of carbon monoxide. Most people have their heating systems repaired when they produce smoke, soot or odor, and so problems with carbon monoxide are averted. It is important, however, that consumers regard smoke or soot formation and odors as significant problems to which they must promptly attend. Unlike gas appliances that can, do and will produce signifigant amounts of Carbon monoxide. There is not one single reported and confirmed case of anyone dying due to carbon monoxide produced from a residential oil burner.
                            sigpic

Comment

Ok, the insurance thing is not "crap" as you put, and you are correct, at least one person has no clue what they are talking about.
                              Here are the facts:
                              1. TD INSURANCE MELOCHE MONNEX in Toronto, Canada 1-800-268-8955 charges $89.95 in addition to your regular premium for "fuel oil spill or leakage and soil contamination" coverage to $300,000 for clean up. Call them-
                              2. An oil appliance will NEVER burn as cleanly as a natural gas appliance because of the chemical make up of the fuel...take a peek in a BLACK SOOTY chimney of an oil appliance... or look at a diesel engine's exhaust(and also study some chemistry to verify this).
                              3. Most homes with oil furnaces smell of oil in the furnace room...I said "most" not "all" even if its just a little...unless your nose is SHOT!
                              4. Oil cost MORE to heat than natural gas in major metro area where street natural gas exists...period.
                              5. Try rebuilding a masonry chimney for oil furnaces, and see if it costs more than ABS or PVC power venting!

Quote:
                              "There are two to three posters on this thread that have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

This thread is a perfect example of the ignorant attempting to educate"

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                                Most homes with oil furnaces smell of oil in the furnace room...I said "most" not "all" even if its just a little...unless your nose is SHOT!
                                Oil cost MORE to heat than natural gas in major metro area where street natural gas exists...period."

"To my supprise, he (your plumber) very strongly suggest me keeping oil because he think the total cost for oil heating is cheaper than gas heating."

This statement is FALSE if he is referring to PIPED NATURAL GAS period (in my geographical area of Toronto).

As you said in your area maybe but I still dont belive it.
                                Oil 140,000 BTUS-
                                Gas 85,000-90,000
                                Not insulting your intelligence but my math tells me all day im getting more heat for my money?????

Comment

Working...
                                X