Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: supprised tonight

Originally posted by BrandonG View Post
    As you said in your area maybe but I still dont belive it.
    Oil 140,000 BTUS-
    Gas 85,000-90,000
    Not insulting your intelligence but my math tells me all day im getting more heat for my money?????
    How much does it cost for the 140,000 BTUs (I'm assuming in a gallon of oil) vs. the 90,000 BTUs in some unit of gas?

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
      Ok, the insurance thing is not "crap" as you put, and you are correct, at least one person has no clue what they are talking about.
      Here are the facts:
      1. TD INSURANCE MELOCHE MONNEX in Toronto, Canada 1-800-268-8955 charges $89.95 in addition to your regular premium for "fuel oil spill or leakage and soil contamination" coverage to $300,000 for clean up. Call them-
      2. An oil appliance will NEVER burn as cleanly as a natural gas appliance because of the chemical make up of the fuel...take a peek in a BLACK SOOTY chimney of an oil appliance... or look at a diesel engine's exhaust(and also study some chemistry to verify this).
      3. Most homes with oil furnaces smell of oil in the furnace room...I said "most" not "all" even if its just a little...unless your nose is SHOT!
      4. Oil cost MORE to heat than natural gas in major metro area where street natural gas exists...period.
      5. Try rebuilding a masonry chimney for oil furnaces, and see if it costs more than ABS or PVC power venting!

Quote:
      "There are two to three posters on this thread that have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

Gas appliances need to be serviced yearly, just like oil appliances do.

Oil appliances in the 85% + efficiency range, burn just as clean as any gas appliance.

Oil appliances do not give off carbon monoxide if there is a venting problem

Oil appliances do not blow your house off the foundation if there is a fuel leak.

I can find no insurance company anywhere that charges more if you have an oil tank. where did that crap come from?

Anyone wishing to really educate themselves on the difference in operating costs and the pro's and con's should log on to www.nora-oilheat.org/ and do some reading.

This thread is a perfect example of the ignorant attempting to educate"
      That's Canada man. You guy's do all kinds of weird stuff up there
      sigpic

Comment

Propane(95,000 BTU/gal)@$1.55 per gal= $16.25 per million BTU
        Oil (140,000 BTU/gal)@$2.00 per gal= $14.30 per million BTU
        Elect (3410 BTU/ KwHr)@ $.10 per KwHr= $29.00 per million BTU
        Nat Gas is a little more complicated to compute but
        most gas companies NOW sell it on a $ per million BTU basis or they can give you this value, my guess is the price now is about $9.00 per million BTU. Since natural gas is more local ly produced energy it would normally be the lower priced source. Most propane comes from processing natural gas so the processing costs will make it more costly , and we know where most oil comes from and it will be more volatile pricing.You can fine tune this table by asking your local supplier for their precise numbers, but mine won't be far off and most suppliers will just roll their eyes back into their heads if you ask such questions. Anyhow you can see it is easy to compare energy types, the trick is to determine how efficient the appliances are and here you look at the nameplates on the appliance and (hope) its there. For instance if you had two oil heaters each with the same input rating of 100,000 BTU/hr and one had an efficency of 100% and the other had 50% you can see you'd use twice as much fuel in the lower efficient appliance.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonG View Post
          [/SIZE]

OMFG did you really just say that??? Show me one installation manual that says you can hold off for 5 years!!!! For any gas boiler.......Even Vissemann!!!
          I havent installed Vissemann yet but the company rep that works out of western mass said that vissemanns new wall hung condensing boilers i forget the names of them could be left without servicing for 7 years. I havent checked on that one but i dont know if ill ever install one. So no point in that for me.

Comment

I attended the Buderus GB142 seminar last spring, a very similar unit to the Viesmann and nobody said anything about 7 years between service.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mtburdick View Post
              I havent installed Vissemann yet but the company rep that works out of western mass said that vissemanns new wall hung condensing boilers i forget the names of them could be left without servicing for 7 years. I havent checked on that one but i dont know if ill ever install one. So no point in that for me.

Jim bolduc is the sales rep for ME NH MASS and I will ask him monday about this. Vitodens 100, 200 with the matrix burner i know all about them they have to be serviced every year. Anything that burns anything that has moving parts has to be cleaned once a year MIN!!!

Quote...Side note the New wall hungs have zero thats right 0 carbon monoxide exhausting from them.......Unquote Jim bolduc

????
              Last edited by BrandonG; 09-27-2009, 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
              X