X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supprised tonight

A 30 yrs experienced plumber came to my house for my oil to gas conversion project estimation. To my supprise, he very strongly suggest me keeping oil because he think the total cost for oil heating is cheaper than gas heating. almost everybody tells us gas heating is cheaper than oil and few neighbours just did conversion this year. now we are confused. what is your opinions? He told us the 86% efficiency oil boiler is the same good as 95% efficiency gas boiler. we are lost.

Re: supprised tonight

I did a proposal at our community center to replace the 10 year old oil furnace with a high efficiency natural gas and the payback was 1.4 years.
    This was based on equivalent energy VS cost, we used approximately 5300 litres (1400 gal) per year of heating oil. Savings in 5 years was $9,400 including the $4300 for the new furnace. Typically energy prices in Ontario are at par or higher than most of the USA. BTW this was done with the price of heating oil before it went nuts last year. Post the average amount of fuel you currently use in a year, price per gallon, efficiency of current furnace, efficiency of new furnace, price of natural gas, cost of new boiler and I will attempt a price comparison for you.
    You can also look around this site or your own NG supplier site for info

Estimated 5 year cost

Old furnace
    Fuel $21,500
    Maintenance program $ 821
    Total $22,321

New Furnace
    Capital Cost (5 year warranty) $4399
    Fuel $8500
    Total $12899

Comment

how about compare a new oil boiler with a new gas boiler?

Comment

I would imagine the cost of either type of new boiler will be in the same ballpark unless one is mid efficiency and the other is high efficiency.
        Just compare the cost of the two fuels for the same amount of energy, around here NG is by far cheaper than oil, also if it matters to you, NG is a local product, oil may or may not be (we have lots of both up here but still pay market rates )

Comment

When I changed out my oil furnace in a 100 year old Toronto house in 1991, the gas company charged NOTHING to run the pipe right up to my stone foundation wall. Today that service is still free. Then to run a 1&1/2" blackiron pipe through a 24 " stone foundation and 3 feet to the furnace does not cost alot w.r.t. the TOTAL cost of the furnace replacement job. If you are replacing an old oil furnace in Toronto you have to be INSANE to go with oil. The cost for OIL is as much as double natural gas (a two years ago it was a $1.40 CAN a litre!). That high efficiency Carrier natural gas furnace has paid for itself many, many, many times over! The only main reason to go oil again on a furnace replacement job is if you don't have natural gas on your street, and even then, most go propane in Canada. As I type this, on another house I am removing a 2 years old BROCK oil furnace & tank and if I'm lucky maybe I can sell it, but I won't get much for it

Comment

Freebies and rebates aside, your plumber was correct. There are 140,000 btu's in a gallon of # 2 fuel oil and an equivalent amount of nat gas has around 85-90,000 btu's.
            sigpic

Comment

Would be nice to know what market area You're in. Got address ????
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by housecarer View Post
                almost everybody tells us gas heating is cheaper than oil and few neighbours just did conversion this year. .
                will an oil to gas conversion save you $$$?

I couldn't tell you, but one thing I've learned in life is never trust the opinion of someone that just spent $1000's on a product. Even if it's total junk, and even ends up costing them more, they will give you the same sales pitch the salesman gave them in order to avoid looking like a fool for spending so much.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                  will an oil to gas conversion save you $$$?

I couldn't tell you, but one thing I've learned in life is never trust the opinion of someone that just spent $1000's on a product. Even if it's total junk, and even ends up costing them more, they will give you the same sales pitch the salesman gave them in order to avoid looking like a fool for spending so much.
                  Well said

Comment

"To my supprise, he (your plumber) very strongly suggest me keeping oil because he think the total cost for oil heating is cheaper than gas heating."

This statement is FALSE if he is referring to PIPED NATURAL GAS period (in my geographical area of Toronto).

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Would be nice to know what market area You're in. Got address ????
                      In CT close to MA

Comment

My situation is the existing oil boiler is old and need to be replaced. He told us, the cost to change an oil boiler is much cheaper than place a new gas boiler (about half the cost). And the long run cost using oil will be cheaper than using gas, if we can fill oil when it is cheaper during summer and we can add another tank for cheaper oil storage.

Comment

You won't be saving much when you go through 1-2 tanks (900 litres) of oil a month in the winter...How many extra tanks do you plan to put in your basement to stock up and save on oil in the summer? 10? Call on others for second, third, forth opinions and quotes.
                          Go natural gas my friend!

Comment

Just a few points id like to make real quick. After working for a oil company for a few years and then working with a plumber who only does natural gas these are a few things that come to mind when dealing with oil
                            1. With natural gas you dont have to worry about getting sonagrams done on your tank.
                            2. You never have to worry about the tank failing and oil being throught your basement or all over your yard. Thats a very hefty expense if it should ever happen.
                            3. No fuel filters that need to be replaced yearly.
                            4. Oil equipment needs to be tuned up yearly. Where with natural gas you can get away with out tuning it up for about 5 years.
                            Im sure there are a few things im forgetting but. I personally would say without having those things to pay for that gas would still be worth it even if it was a little more expensive.

Comment

The smell that sticks to EVERYTHING!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X