X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent Stack Where?

I'm expanding a bathroom and demo'ing the wall where vent stack is currently located, and I'm not sure where to locate and tie in the new vent.

I can frame the wall behind the toilet with 2x6, so I assume that makes the most sense for the vent/cleanout. Can I place a wye between the toilet and tub for the vent, or do I connect the vent line after the closet bend?

The shower is more than 6' from the tub and toilet and will have it's own vent -- which raises another question. The wall to the left of the toilet is an eave edge and backs up to a patio/BBQ area. So I want to run a lateral before exiting the roof to move the vent away from this area. In the attic, can I tie it into the shower's vent (10' from the eave and half way up the rake), so I can limit my roof penetrations?

(the line and dots at the corner of the tub indicate the faucet)

Re: Vent Stack Where?

wheres the sink?

Comment

The lav's are at the top of the screen, outside the tub/shower area. They have their own branch off the main line and their own vent in the wall they abut.

Comment

Also -- the wall between the toilet and tub is a pocket door, so I can't run the vent through there.

Comment

Jeff there is a lot of explaining to do here.There are many different configurations based on what is going on.Your drawing explains.

Long sweep fittings with san-tees with trap arms to traps vented under walls of your choice that can tie into vent stack.
          Or everything is flat vented cause you don't have grade.

A lot of energy is going to be invested in explaining this in order to get you close.More than likely an important element will be ommitted or bypassed to get this done.

This is a lot more than water flowing through fittings.

I mean this is a huge amount of typing that's going to need to be done to have you understand what and why your doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Jeff there is a lot of explaining to do here.There are many different configurations based on what is going on.Your drawing explains.

Long sweep fittings with san-tees with trap arms to traps vented under walls of your choice that can tie into vent stack.
            Or everything is flat vented cause you don't have grade.

A lot of energy is going to be invested in explaining this in order to get you close.More than likely an important element will be ommitted or bypassed to get this done.

This is a lot more than water flowing through fittings.

I mean this is a huge amount of typing that's going to need to be done to have you understand what and why your doing it.

lol, ok so it wasn't just me that was saying "huh" when I looked at that.

Comment

I don't know if the branches are long sweeps/combis/etc -- just the general layout -- 4" line down the middle of the bathroom with branches left and right to the toilet, shower and sinks (a neighbor with the same floorplan did a similar remodel). This line hits a second bathroom on it's way to the front of the house (straight shot), and then out to the street. The wall we're taking out (with the vent in it) is the end of the line, and sits about 16" below the slab and about 1' above street level.

Here's what the bathroom looks like now-

And here's what we're planning to do (the routing beyond the "New" flags is just my guess at a how it should be) --

Calling the top of the page North -- we're
              -opening up the south wall
              -moving the toilet and a new tub into new construction there
              -opening the east wall into an existing room
              -moving the shower there
              -capping and burying the existing shower branch
              -extending the current toilet branch into the new shower, and venting up one of the new shower walls

This is a single-story house on a slab, one level throughout, and it sits about 2' above street level. Does that cover everything?

My original question was if I could use a common vent for the shower, tub and toilet. It's all 4" line, and the tub drain is right at 10' from the shower. But the shower is more than 6' from the closet flange, so a seperate vent for the toilet is a must.

From the standpoint of impact on the rest of construction, the wall behind the toilet is the best place to run a vent, and the exterior of that wall is a good location for a clean-out.

From a plumbing standpoint, is there a better location? Keep in mind that the wall between the toilet and tub is a pocket door, so no room there, and the bay the tub sits in is glass all around. The wall we're opening for the new tub/toilet area is a bearing wall, so getting into it means cutting into existing concrete footing.

Comment

How far below finished floor is your waste line Jeff?

I'd like to see at least 17" to bottom of a three inch to install the most efficient standard water closet waste stack.
                This depth is also necessary to determine system configuration and sawcut.

Comment

As I recall, the top of the line had about 4" clearance below the footing, so that would put the bottom of the pipe at about 2' below the top of the slab. I need to add 4' of run from that point to the closet flange, so l'd still be at least 20" below FF at the closet bend.

How far below finished floor is your waste line Jeff?

I'd like to see at least 17" to bottom of a three inch to install the most efficient standard water closet waste stack.
                  This depth is also necessary to determine system configuration and sawcut.
                  Last edited by JeffeVerde; 09-24-2009, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Jeff
                    I mean no offense by the following, but.....
                    unless plumbing is some kind of hobby, I suggest you hire a plumber to assure that you get it right. I'm not against doing a little framing, but I know when set the hammer down and call in a carpenter (like yourself). I'll bet you've become acquainted with more than a couple of our kind in the course of work day. Maybe you can arrange a labor swap?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                      Jeff
                      I mean no offense by the following, but.....
                      unless plumbing is some kind of hobby, I suggest you hire a plumber to assure that you get it right. I'm not against doing a little framing, but I know when set the hammer down and call in a carpenter (like yourself). I'll bet you've become acquainted with more than a couple of our kind in the course of work day. Maybe you can arrange a labor swap?
                      Aside from coming from Iowa farm-stock and having a strong ingrained sense of "do for yourself" , the house is a 10 hour drive (one way), from home, so it's not really practical to ask someone to spend two days driving just to do an hour of actual plumbing.

I've roughed in and plumbed bathrooms before. But I've never had a toilet and tub sitting side by side on the same branch like this. Thus my question about where to tie in the vent -- between or after?

This seems like a pretty straight-forward change to me. Should I infer from your comment that there's a complexity to what I'm planning that I'm failing to comprehend?

Comment

Hi Check out this thread:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24322

It should help you a bit.

Here is an image from that thread that may help you as well.

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

That image posted does refer to a couple configurations for Drain Waste and Vent.

Unfortunately it shows none of the pipe size requirements,cleanout requirements etc.

Of even greater importance,there is another 90% of particular project issues that aren't even addressed above.
                          Nice image though.

Yep Jeff,
                          Looks like your deep enough for conventional waste and vent.

Is there currently a cleanout on this vent?
                          If not this line I'm assuming is a branch that is less than 5' from the main.
                          If so you need to be aware of how many offsets (90's-45's) are existing before the next cleanout.May I suggest a camera to locate existing main and it's offsets.

Which wall do you propose going up?
                          Are you sure this is a vent with nothing drainin into it from above?
                          Your sure you don't want to have a plumber lookat this?

I don't know of anyone established in their trade that does not have someone of any other trade to network with to help problem solve/complete.

Comment

. . .Yep Jeff,
                            Looks like your deep enough for conventional waste and vent.

Is there currently a cleanout on this vent? . . .
                            This is the end of this run (there's another bathroom downstream), and there is currently a cleanout in the wall that's being removed (between the existing toilet and shower).

This is a single-story structure, so unless a roofer peeing down the vent counts, no, there is nothing draining into it from above

Which wall do you propose going up?
                            The wall between the toilet and tub would be the easiest from a construction standpoint -- but then I'm stuck using the toilet as a cleanout. I'll probably bring it up the exterior wall behind the toilet tank, so I can include a cleanout outside.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                              Hi Check out this thread:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24322

It should help you a bit.

Here is an image from that thread that may help you as well.
                              Thanks for the input, Skool. That's a great diagram of various drain/vent combinations . . . except for the one thing I'm unclear on - an adjacent tub and toilet, and if a single vent can service both.

My tub drain and closet flange are 2' apart, and I'm running a cleanout/vent up the wall behind the toilet. Do I have to run a seperate vent for each, or can they share a vent (the tub sits in a bay window, so even if it requires it's own vent, the nearest usable wall is alongside the toilet's vent)? If shared, does the vent branch off between the two fixtures, or upstream of the toilet?

Comment

Working...
                              X