Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

    A previous owner tied the pool's backwash line into the house sewer by extending the house line beyond the footing, coming about 3' above grade, and fashioning a trap out of ell's. The 1" PVC backwash line comes up above the trap, loops over, and is simply inserted into the open 4" drain pipe (the pool is 10' below the house grade, so a vacuum break is needed).

    I'm doing a bathroom expansion and this has to be moved. Is there a better/more elegant way to replumb it? Could I bring the backwash line into the wall and tie into the vent/cleanout above the flood level rim? This is in a high visibility area, so I'd like to minimize the exposed piping.



  • #2
    Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

    I am 99% sure anyway your run it it is illegal, you have to install a drywell sized to handle backwashing for your pool here in NY, cant even dump it into a storm drain.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

      Not only is it illegal, it is a great way to create a real bad main line stoppage if you are not careful.

      Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

        Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Not only is it illegal, it is a great way to create a real bad main line stoppage if you are not careful.

        Mark
        You're here in SoCal, Mark -- how is a pool backwash/drain supposed to be handled here? Two neighbors who also have pools were explaining the layout to me and said that the backwash has to be run to the sewer, not the gutter. I'm in Orange County if that makes any difference.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

          you need to install a drywell

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

            Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Not only is it illegal, it is a great way to create a real bad main line stoppage if you are not careful.

            Mark
            How does it create a stoppage? The city of Phoenix website says that if you are draining a pool, you should use your sewer clean out.

            BTW, I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

              Originally posted by JeffeVerde View Post
              You're here in SoCal, Mark -- how is a pool backwash/drain supposed to be handled here? Two neighbors who also have pools were explaining the layout to me and said that the backwash has to be run to the sewer, not the gutter. I'm in Orange County if that makes any difference.
              You really need to talk to your Sanitation District "Whittier?" to find the requirements. Some will let you drain into the storm drain if you dechlorinate your water, some will let you drain into your sewer if you have a way to prevent the sand or diatomaceous earth from going down the drain. You cannot just dump it down a cleanout. Out where I am if you have a salt water pool you legally cannot do anything at all with the water.

              Mark
              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-24-2009, 08:28 AM.
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

                Originally posted by cpw View Post
                How does it create a stoppage? The city of Phoenix website says that if you are draining a pool, you should use your sewer clean out.

                BTW, I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious.
                The stoppages I have seen are usually all of the diatomaceous earth in the pool water collecting in the drain. What generally determines where you can put your water is where it will eventually end up. If you are in an area which will let the chemicals enter the aquifer they won't let you drain it. Parts of California won't let you use the storm drain because they drain to the ocean. Where I am they are worried about the Santa Clara River. The plumbing code prohibits draining it into the sewer without a separator of some type to prevent accidental debris. That is why most do use the cleanout but it doesn't make it legal.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

                  Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  Not only is it illegal, it is a great way to create a real bad main line stoppage if you are not careful.

                  Mark

                  Oh ya, Nothing like caked up D.E. inside the lines

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

                    If your neighbors are connected to the SS, that may be an indication that the local sewer district wishes to treat the pool discharge (we've all heard of stranger things). Only sure way to know is to contact your building dept. and talk to the chief inspector.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

                      These were all permitted/inspected/to-code pools when they were built . . . but that was 30 years ago, and when the County (Orange) was the AHJ. Now the city has their own building dept, so I'll be going down to talk to them and find out what's what. I'll report back what I find out, for anyone that's interested.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

                        d.e. is a bummer when the pool man back washes the filter into the area drains. over the years the d.e. builds up in layers and coats the pipe. this stuff hardens like concrete and eventually plugs up the line.

                        if you're lucky, a good jetting will get it broken up and flowing again. if you're not, a good jack hammer will

                        they make a backwash filter to capture the d.e. and prevent it from entering the lines. its basically another filter that pipes to the discharge line of the pool filters backwash outlet. the d.e enters and is caught in a filter bag/mesh.

                        it's very common to see a 4'' line connected to the sewer stubbing up next to the pool filter on older installations. i don't think they allow it anymore.

                        also please remember that the pools water chemistry contains no more chlorine than what's already in our city water.

                        better check with your cities sanitation district and public works department. out here, they now make us filter run off from the roof drains.

                        rick.
                        phoebe it is

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

                          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          d.e. is a bummer when the pool man back washes the filter into the area drains. over the years the d.e. builds up in layers and coats the pipe. this stuff hardens like concrete and eventually plugs up the line.

                          if you're lucky, a good jetting will get it broken up and flowing again. if you're not, a good jack hammer will

                          they make a backwash filter to capture the d.e. and prevent it from entering the lines. its basically another filter that pipes to the discharge line of the pool filters backwash outlet. the d.e enters and is caught in a filter bag/mesh.

                          it's very common to see a 4'' line connected to the sewer stubbing up next to the pool filter on older installations. i don't think they allow it anymore.

                          also please remember that the pools water chemistry contains no more chlorine than what's already in our city water.

                          better check with your cities sanitation district and public works department. out here, they now make us filter run off from the roof drains.

                          rick.

                          Filter run off from the roof???????????????? What the *#$%>?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

                            Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            Not only is it illegal, it is a great way to create a real bad main line stoppage if you are not careful.

                            Mark
                            The City of Los Angeles permits pool discharge to the sanitary sewer and/or storm drain system, provided the chlorine is allowed to drop to zero, and a DE capture tank is used for filter backwash.

                            Here in Orange County (CA), a p-trap to the sanitary sewer for backwash is required on all new pool installations. I'm waiting on a reply from my local building dept, but I haven't found anything about a DE seperator being required here.
                            Last edited by JeffeVerde; 09-29-2009, 11:07 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Pool Backwash Into House Sewer?

                              I'd ask an inspector to come out to Your property. Chances are ,You'll make a friend, and not have to do it twice!
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X