• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Rock in sewer line

[QUOTE=DanLawrence;254284]
    Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    He just bought the house.
    Stuff happens while a house is in a transition period.
    Some deliberately generate situations for one reason or another.

That is very true and a good point. When I was looking for a house about five yrs ago I looked a few that where foreclosures and I remember one that all the plumbing in the house had been disconnected and doors taken off the hinges. The toilet was placed in the bedroom
    Well then,if it's cast you can bet that the system is drying out.The longer it goes dry the larger the problems attached to flaking rust.Many times I've heard of homeowners moving in and drains backing up.Not a good sign.

Comment

I think it's time for Dan to unveil his new product, ROCKX
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

what do you think "plumbers dynamite" is used for

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          what do you think "plumbers dynamite" is used for

rick.

Plumbers Dynamite is sealant for doing tests.

Comment

Thank you all for replying and advice. This house is a Forclosed House, and I bought it as is. So I have to take care of my own sewer line. Like I said, the rock is 47 feet away from the cleanout. The main public pipe is just another 10 feet or so. The rock is half size the pipe. The pipe from the cleanout to the rock is clear and clean. No damage pipe at all. At the location of the rock, there is no sag or damage pipe, I don't know how it got there during the recontruction of the house.
            At least now I know that some of you said the plumber can use the snake with different head to push it out instead of the hydro Jet.
            My question is, does the jet shoot the water forward to push the rock out? or it shoot the water backward for push the head forward?
            I don't understand why all the plumbers who came to give me estimate said that they only do Hydro Jet instead of try to use the snake with different head. The price for hydro jet a 60 feet pipe is range from 400 to 1000.
            Can you guy let me know plumber in Falls Church Va area?
            Thanks a lot for all the help, I fell a little better after reading all your reply.
            God Bless you all,

Tea

Comment

Rick,
              Are you saying that
              1/. Push the rock with the camera
              2/. Snake
              3/. Jetter

But the rock is pretty big, most the plumber said their camera is very expensive and won't push the rock with the camera.
              Tea
              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

a jetter is better for pulling, than pushing. i would use a snake over a jetter and a camera over a snake.
              rick.

Comment

Hi Tea,

Most of what I'm going to put here has been said before by others, but I'm going to recap as it will be more clear to have it all in one post.

It does not surprise me that you backed up again that quickly with a big rock in the line. The rock needs to be removed for the line to work for any significant lenght of time.

There are three ways of removing the rock. Digging up the line and cutting it open and pulling the rock out, pushing the rock out to the city main, and getting ahold of it and pulling it back up and out of the cleanout.

The digging option is the most certain to resolve the problem, but probably also the most expensive. The cost depends on how deep the line is, and what expensive-to-replace things are above the spot that needs to be dug up. The questions about how the rock got in there are appropriate because it might have got in from a break in the pipe. If the pipe is broken you will have to dig it up anyway, so examining no-dig options is pointless in that case.

Other options for removing the rock are not certain, so it's possibly money wasted to pursue them, but posibly not if the the cost of the dig is prohibitive. The pricing you've been getting is high for my area, but possibly just the going rate in yours. Because those quotes are so high, I'd consider whether digging is a cost effective solution before going further.

Pulling the rock back will be very difficult, and is probably not really an option. It might be possible to pull it back to a point where digging becomes more feasible. If it is under concrete or asphalt, digging will be expensive, but if it can be pulled back to where it's just a few feet down in an easy to dig spot, that makes it much cheaper to dig.

Pushing the rock out is easier than pulling it. But from what you've said, it may be difficult. You've said it is just a few feet from the main where it has lodged. Typically there is a bend in your service line just before it joins the main. The line will head out to the main, then usually go through a 45 degree elbow to bend the flow into the main. It's pretty easy to move one rock through straight pipe, but a bend can present difficulties, and it sounds like your rock is at or near a bend.

Also, though you know of only the one rock, it's very possible that there are several more ahead of it that you have not seen as the one blocks the view of the others ahead of it. It's pretty easy to move a single rock, but a line of good sized ones presents difficulties.

It is important to know the material your pipe is made of; some are more tolerant than others of getting a little rough with them when cleaning them out, and to move a big rock, or several big rocks in a line, you might have to get a little rough. As crack says, if it's orangeburg, a particulary flimsy pipe material, it will be very difficult to remove the rock(s) without damaging the pipe to the point it needs to be replaced anyway.

My suggestion is to get some more information about the problem before committing to a direction of action. You want to know the following things:
                - what kind of pipe is the line?
                - where is the rock(s) in the line?
                - what is the cost of digging it up?
                - is the line in good enough shape that removing the rock(s) will leave you with a good line?

Having this information will help you answer the following questions:
                - am I going to have to dig it up anyway?
                - is my plumber likely to damage the pipe enough in the attempt that I am going to have to dig it up anyway?
                - is the cost of digging enough, and the likelyhood of success enough, that making further attempts to remove the rock(s) is a good idea?

To get this information, you need to have the line cameraed again, and have the point where the rock(s) are located. The person doing the camera work might need to hydro-jet the line to clean it up enough to see the rock and determine the condition of the line. That will cost some money, and if that $ is a big portion of the cost of just digging it up, it might be best to just dig it up, though you'll need to know where to dig so you might be paying for more camera work anyway.

So, it comes down to what is the most cost effective way to get a serviceable line again.

As to your questions about hydro jetting vs snaking; I'm surprised there is a huge cost difference; I don't charge any more for one than the other, but it may be different in your area. Neither option is certain to resolve your problem, so it is a bit of a dice roll to have more work done in that direction. But if digging is very expensive it might be worth rolling the dice.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Wow,
                  What a great ton of information you gave me. Thank you so much for your help Mr. Ace.
                  God Bless,
                  Tea

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  Hi Tea,.

Comment

Tea
                    if you are going to have to do something to your line, anyway
                    Why not borrow, rent whatever you got to do, a flat tape
                    Duct tape a rag on the end of it real good to make about a 3" ball
                    And gently push it through the line
                    What do you got to loose but a rock

Comment

Tea,

Got your email. I'll call you tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Tea View Post
                        Rick,
                        Are you saying that
                        1/. Push the rock with the camera
                        2/. Snake
                        3/. Jetter

But the rock is pretty big, most the plumber said their camera is very expensive and won't push the rock with the camera.
                        Tea
                        yes, cameras are very expensive. but they are very useful. remember that we're not ramming the rock, but rather pushing the rock.

as i said earlier. i could use my fiberglass push rod with the aide of the camera to easily push that rock. unless there are plenty more rocks downstream, the rock should easily move forward. of course a real picture of the pipe and rock would easily determine the condition.

once again, a jetter would be the last thing i would try to push the rock with. my best nozzle has a 20# pulling force. keeping that nozzle from getting around the rock is the problem. 1 wrong move and you either get stuck past the rock, or you slip and start pulling the rock backwards.

you really don't want a camera and a jetter operating in the line too close together.

if it can be pushed out, it would be with my camera and or push rod.

let bill give it a shot. he won't b.s. you like you've already been. plus bill was the board buster champ

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Any guess how a rock would get there?
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

open clean out + little kid = rock in line

it's simple math
                            the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Tea View Post
                              Thank you all for replying and advice. This house is a Forclosed House, and I bought it as is.

Tea
                              Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              Any guess how a rock would get there?
                              Originally posted by Jerad View Post
                              open clean out + little kid = rock in line

it's simple math

forclosed home. if i can't use it, neither can they.

i got the perfect house warming gift

any other ideas

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Joey stopped by on her last visit to crack. and said " oh look a rock and a c/o " and this thread was born.
                                the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Working...
                                X