X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom rough-in needs help!

I recently just bought a house that has an existing bathroom rough-in in the basement. The basement is 3/4 of the way finished, but I have to add flooring. I am not quite ready to spend the money to remodel the basement by adding the bathroom, but it is nice to know that the rough in is there for future plans. In the meantime, I would like to add a commercial grade carpet to the basement so that I can still utilize the space. With that being said, I am almost certain that the rough in is not properly sealed, and am hesitant to cover it with carpet.

The pvc pipe for the shower drain currently is covered with duct tape, and is sitting in a 4 inch deep square hole in the concrete...meaning the pvc pipe is set down into the floor and the opening of the pipe is level to the floor. Does anyone think it is possible to safely cover this hole (with the pipe) so that I can lay the temporary carpet over top of it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Bathroom rough-in needs help!

Go buy a 2" jim cap and seal the trap arm. After that you can fill the hole with dirt to 3" below the top of the slab and make a concrete patch. When you are ready it won't be too hard to dig it up and in the mean time you can reclaim the space. How is your water closet currently terminated?

Mark
    Attached Files
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Please Have an experienced plumber look at what You have. He can also show You what's there and what's to come. It would also be wise to have Him write it Up.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would suggest if one is going to cap a line under concrete it should be a permanent made of the same material as existing,P.V.C./A.B.S. glue on,Cast Iron/Galvanized use a cast iron blind plug with no-hub coupling.

The thing with a temporary cap is one may never go back in leaving a problem for the next owner,or you in time,when it rots out.

Comment

If its temporary I'd use a test cap on it and put a piece of plywood over it with a hole drilled in it to lift it up later, then cut the carpet to fit the hatch, so to speak. If it will be there for a while, I would do as drtyhands says and attach a permanent cap of the same material.

Good luck!

Comment

Try these...
            http://www.real-titeplugs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jay mpls View Post
              wow ,what a tight plug !!!!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
              X