X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4" poly tubing question

At Home Depot they sell 1/4" opaque poly tubing. This tubing is typically used in hooking up
    water and ice-makers ....
    I wonder if anyone knows what the PSI rating is?
    I asked the orange apron and he simply shrugged his shoulders and said "have a nice day"

In the same aisle there was some black 1/4" tubing used for a drip system..again no PSI rating...anyone?

I am looking for tubing 1/4" and a rating of 200-250PSI
    I am installing a Hadley air horn in my vehicle and the local auto supply stores only carry 3-6
    foot lengths in bubble packs I need 25-50 feet. The horn compressor is 150PSI and there is a small storage air tank.

Running 1/4" copper is not going to work as I need to run tubing from under the hood to the dash board and to the rear of the vehicle.

Thanks for any help

Cactus Man

Re: 1/4" poly tubing question

The Viega pex tubing I use is only rated
    at 100 psi. I doubt you will find a plastic
    tubing that will suit your needs unless there
    is some specialty composite product out there.
    No way to bend and fish that soft copper, eh?

Comment

www.parker.com

Products -> Tubing -> Thermoplastic Tubing
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Try D. O. T. airline tubing

Comment

For sure, the black drip tubing would not handle any where near 250 PSI. I doubt that the milky white PE is rated that high, as well. The fittings available in the supply store for PE ( compression or push-in) also would not be acceptable for that much pressure.

Comment

Re: 1/4" poly tubing question ASK THE INSURANCE CO'S!!

Go only copper,or stainless braided. S.S.braided has the fittings is safe and takes no skill.
            About poly, replaced whole 1 st floor hardwood flooring [ click wood over concrete ] because of poly failure failure. His home owners Ins. paid for it. THANK GOD ,I didn't install the tubing! Came with the home
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The company I work for uses some plastic tubing for high pressure chemical injection that is rated at 700 PSI or thereabouts. Try to find a Parker distributor who will sell in small quantities.

Comment

The product the big box stores carry probably originates from China. I'd avoid it like the plague.

Comment

Thanks everyone....

OK I bit the bullet and now the project will be a hybrid!

I am running copper 1/4" tubing for 80% of the pneumatics.
                  The small loop from the compressor to the air tank is from the short supplied plastic
                  type tubing.

The run up into the dashboard and out to the engine compartment will also
                  be that plastic type tubing as it will be almost impossible to run the copper without kinks

The air horn will typically use around 90PSI per "honk" and will be 135db of loud. Air tank and switch is set for 145PSI.

So when driving behind a hybrid golf cart doing 25 in a 45 zone I'll sound like a
                  Peter-Built or Mack truck bearing down behind you fast and determined!

Cactus Man

Comment

sin flex is the slang term for the stuff you want any heavy truck parts house carries the stuff

Comment

IF you really want to know the pressure rating of the tubing sold in any big box store, ask one of those "trained sales associates" for the MSDS papers on that particular product. By Federal Law, they are required to carry these on every product they sell within the store. I do this just to be a plain A**hole when I really need to know an answer the these poor store clerks have no clue as to the answer. This will get the manager involved, and probably the Human Resources person as well, because-no one knows where they keep the MSDS sheets. Parker does sale (make?) a tubing product that is rated for 250# or air pressure. We used rolls of this in my last job before retirement . It comes in different sizes as well, uses something like "sharkbite" fittings, and we had very little problems with these. Even though you have found a solution to what you need, keep in mind McMaster-Carr for future Industrial rated products. Thanks, David

Comment

http://www.dripirrigation.com/index.php?cPath=36_110

not saying this is the same stuff you wre looking at, but this companys is rated for up to 60 psi, in 1/4"
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

polypropelyne made by Parker. I'd use compression fittings.

wookie

Comment

Thanks wookie but the pneumatic part of the air horn project is complete.
                            I decided to use 1/4" copper for the long [almost] straight run from the rear of the van to just under the dashboard.

I then used the "supplied" poly tubing for the run up into the dashboard for the pressure gauge and then out the firewall into the engine compartment. These are essentially very short runs. I may replace the poly tubing in the engine compartment with a short run of copper if I get the motivation. I'm locked in inside the dash with poly as fishing copper tubing is just not a viable option.

I am very familiar with MSDS [material safety data sheets] as I was the safety officer at one hospital I worked at.... Great idea, great information oh and by law required! but brutal on the departments and staff understanding its purpose and keeping the documents current!

Maintaining a proper MSDS notebook as a resource requires a full time employee doing only that....Yeah Home Depot has a dedicated employee maintaining the MSDS file [I'll avoid the rant at this point]. To be fair, I doubt the local ACE Hardware store has a "current" MSDS notebook!

The particular Home Depot store I frequent because it's nearby has maybe one or two intelligent sales persons! The rest can be classified in two categories..those that speak some form of English and those that can't!

I say sarcastically that the salesperson I asked about the pressure tubing psi rating did not have the ability to even spell MSDS!!!!!!!

By the way the electrical end of this project is almost complete too. I need to dress some wires under the dashboard. Instead if using fuses, this time I opted for circuit breakers.

I have a 30 amp breaker for the compressor, 20 amp breaker for the air solenoid, and OK a fused line from the ignition switch to the control relay circuit.

Hadley dual air horns 135DB of loud to remind you to put the phone down, put the burger down, quit picking your nose while singing along to an old carpenter's song and make that damn left turn before the light turns yellow..there are no opposing cars coming!

Cactus Man

Comment

IF you really want to know the pressure rating of the tubing sold in any big box store, ask one of those "trained sales associates" for the MSDS papers on that particular product. By Federal Law, they are required to carry these on every product they sell within the store.
                              Sorry, but I don't believe this to be an accurate statement. There is no requirement that I am aware of that would make HD or any other seller carry a MSDS Sheet for "every product they sell". Your state's Right To Know Law and federal law (OSHA and EPA) require MSDS sheets for hazardous chemicals. But your statement of "every product they sell" would include such items as bottled water, magazines, candy bars, ALL lumber products (not just treated lumber), nails/screws/etc., and a slew of other materials which don't warrant a MSDS Sheet.

Yes, if you ask for a MSDS sheet they need to supply one... for those materials where a MSDS has been issued by the manufacturer. The whole manufacturing/distribution chain is responsible to see that MSDS sheets make it to the end user.

As far as the statement by the OP that the max expected pressure is about 90 PSI, that's not the way to design or spec out a project. What is the maximum pressure that the system could be subjected to? ie, what is the MAX pressure of the compressor and/or relief valve setting, these are the determining factors which the tubing could be subjected to, and a safety margin needs to be applied on top of that. So your tubing, fittings, and all other components of the system need to be rated for a working pressure that is equal to or greater than the MAX system pressure that can be generated, which may or may not be 90 PSI.

---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X