circulating pump questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circulating pump questions

My master bath is the furthest possible distance from the water heater (65 feet). There is a whirlpool tub and a multi head shower that is feed by a 1 inch line for volume. With this you can imagine the amount of luke-warm water that has to run before I have good hot water. I'm thinking that I should add a pump to the end of the line and run a 1/2 inch return line to the water heater and circulate the hot line periodocially. Part of the question is how to set it up ( timer, temp, motion sensor, ??) pump sizing, brand? So I thought that I would look to the experts here for some help. I hang out at this forum but usually on the woodworking part so if I have duplicated a previous post please forgive me and direct me to the info.... Thanks, KIP

Re: circulating pump questions

a simple way ,I went with a slab home. Done in 1 hr.

www.grundfosusa.com Check out the home comfort series
    Last edited by toolaholic; 09-26-2009, 09:44 PM.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I like the Grundfos.Have supplier size it.
      3/4" return line.
      Thermo switch.
      Timer.

Don't forget check and isolation and valves

Comment

Here is a little different idea, Grundfos low head pump, 3/4 return line and see if you can find a smart electrician to wire your pump up to your bathroom light switch. That way you only have the pump and the return line activated when you need it. Walk into the bathroom, turn on the light, use the toilet and when your done you have hot water waiting for you not you waiting for it.
        Other ideas available upon request.

Comment

If you go with a recirc system, which I think will solve your problem, put one of (non) rookie plumber's sweet little flow restrictors in it; easy to do and will save you issues down the road.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

a flow restrictor is a Good idea. i've been doing some repair work lately on a few houses with 3/4 Grundfos pumps running wide open 24/7.

one of the houses was done in pex with brass fittings. you could crush the fitting with your fingers, and that was only 3 years old.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

And REAM your A$$ OFF on every cut!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

for a single family home, there is no reason to have a circulating pump running continuous. hopefully the household has sleeping time and working time. no need to keep water circulating when the family is sleeping or off to work.

i always install a timer on private residential. the only problem with a point of use switch/ such as a light switch, is most pumps and circ systems are not going to come up to temperature for a few minutes or more. meaning that unless you have other things to doo the water will still be cool when you need it.

the best system is the one you don't need to worry about. one that circulates by itself with no pump and no real wear.

we've discussed it in great detail before. not a simple system to retrofit, but if you can get a circ return line up into an attic and back to the heater below, then you have the system that's the best of both worlds. hot water rises and cold water settles.

rookie can explain it best

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I knew an electrician who wired a cocky apprentices horn to his brake pedal. I laughed for days.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                    Here is a little different idea, Grundfos low head pump, 3/4 return line and see if you can find a smart electrician to wire your pump up to your bathroom light switch. That way you only have the pump and the return line activated when you need it. Walk into the bathroom, turn on the light, use the toilet and when your done you have hot water waiting for you not you waiting for it.
                    Other ideas available upon request.
                    Clerer idea, rookie. I'm forwarding it to Gary Klein. He teaches the Climate Care workshop for GreenPlumbersUSA®

Comment

Working...
                    X