Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cast aluminum vs stainless steel gas boiler

have two questions about high efficiency gas boiler:

1. there are two types of high efficiency gas boiler from Burnham: Cast Aluminum Condensing Wall Hung Boiler and Stainless Steel Condensing Boiler. I don't care wall hung or floor standing. which one last longer, Cast Aluminum or Stainless Steel?

2. should I ask plumber to add vent to take fresh air from outside or just take inside basement air? The basement will be finished soon.

thanks,

Re: cast aluminum vs stainless steel gas boiler

Spend a little more for great quality ,Veisman stainless, sorry but Years ahead of the U.S. CO'S.This is From My Son in Law. WWW.EARTHHEAT.COM
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      Spend a little more for great quality ,Veisman stainless, sorry but Years ahead of the U.S. CO'S.This is From My Son in Law. WWW.EARTHHEAT.COM
      But the gas company, national grid, only provides Burnham boilers. The gas company will give new customer about half price for boiler.

Comment

Originally posted by housecarer View Post
        But the gas company, national grid, only provides Burnham boilers. The gas company will give new customer about half price for boiler.
        Wow, You back East or is this National? Tanks Tool
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Viessmann or Buderus, everything else is crap.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Viessmann or Buderus, everything else is crap.
            Sometimes the truth hurts. Maybe you'll be able to modify that statement someday, Master. I hope, I hope!!!!

Comment

Son In Law Says S.S.

Comment

For the Vent, which pipe is better, stainless pipe and pvc pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by housecarer View Post
                  For the Vent, which pipe is better, stainless pipe and pvc pipe?

Stainless steel with out a doubt. Now for vent... Are you referring to the vent for the flue gas or are you talking about running a fresh air intake from the outdoors? Either way you can take PVC out of the equation. Your local codes will tell you exactly what type of material is required for venting of flue gases. You can also check ASME section 6. I think section 6 deals with heating boilers.

Good luck.

Best,
                  Joe

Comment

You must adhere to the manufacturers instructions regarding vent location and material type. Manufacturers instructions take precedence over code.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      You must adhere to the manufacturers instructions regarding vent location and material type. Manufacturers instructions take precedence over code.
                      the manufacture says both PVC and stainless steel pipes are ok.

Comment

Well then PVC is a crap load less expensive.
                        sigpic

Comment

go with pvc unless you need the fire rating. If the manufacturer says either is fine.
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I don't know about where you are, but if you are using PVC for your venting, in Canada it must be System 636 certified pipe. The condensate has a tendency to break down regular PVC.

Viessmann is the way to go...Especially with the coaxial duct on the Vitodens Wallhungs.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              Son In Law Says S.S.
                              Most of people tell me Stainless Steel is better. But Burnham's warranty gives Cast Aluminum 10 yrs no charge but only 7 yrs no charge to Stainless Steel, http://burnham.com/pdf/Limited%20War...terHeaters.pdf.

looks like they are more confident on their cast aluminum products.

Comment

Working...
                              X