X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too many leaks

We have medical air systems that are being shipped out tested and found to be leak free and when they arrive on site and are put in service we are finding too many leaks. we are currently using formula 8 pipe dope and Masters orange T-tape on copper fittings. they are both oxygen compatible. is there a better product or should we look at other possible problems such as shipping.

Re: too many leaks

I can not give any guidance on the sealing dope,

My first guess is shipping vibration or handling problems or a flaw in construction or design(shipping making it show up).

But the questions that come to mind are?

Are all machines affected? is there a pattern to the problem?
    If not by shipper, distance? some terminal they ship through?

Construction of the machine?

Are the leaks all the same locations?

Is the leak all ways at fitting XY or are they random?

Is it in one area of the machine, say random connections to component A,

Just a guess here but if shipping is the cause, I would think that use would in time create a similar condition, heat or temperatures, vibrations, and so on causing leaks to show up,

Unless some component is stretching or hanging by some fitting and distressing it by miss handling of the units.

Is there any way to package them differently, self ship or deliver?

If the leaks are random no rime or reason then I would then suspect the dope or the connection type it self,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

is it possible there was a large temperature change from the assembly plant to the final destination?

i installed 6 seismic gas shut off valves a few years ago with the yellow rector seal dope. this was 1'' gal pipe and nipples into the aluminum seismic valve. 1 year later they were leaking at the connection to the aluminum seismic valve. only thing i can figure, the aluminum had a large temperature change and was affected by expansion / contraction.

re-doped the parts with teflon dope and 2-3 years later, all good

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you for your responce guys, we have aprox. 25 certified plummers on staff and most of them agree that we are using poor dope and the assemblers are not taping the systems correctly. The dope we are using is very liquid and not a paste as most dope is, it drys very quickly. we are currently seaking a better dope. any suggestions?

Comment

aaaahhhh. i hate to sound stupid but if you have approximately 25 certified plumbers on staff why are you asking us? also while i'm at it why don't you know exactly how many plumbers you have on staff? i ain't sayin nutin here, just askin, just askin. breid..................

Comment

I think I would contact manufactures, of pipe sealants, such as Oatly, IPS corporation, loctite corporation, some more here,
            http://www.nsf.org/certified/plumbin...d=&ProductUse=

and check into the Oxygen compatibility,

the other place is oxygen suppliers, and see what they use when they re valve a tank or on oxygen fittings, linweld , US welding, paxair, air gas, and I am sure there are others, even just a good local welding supplier. (some may have medical Oxygen divisions).

the wrong stuff and you have a major problem as I am sure you know,

here are some more possibilities,
            http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...bility&spell=1

the wrong stuff and you have a major problem as I am sure you know,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
            X