X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water hammer problem after new sprinkler system

A couple of updates:

I checked the following:

(1) No clamps have been removed from the piping in the basement.
    (2) The sound is more like a steady groan that lasts five to ten seconds rather than a percussive hammer sound and seems to come from the basement.
    (3) The last time I heard the sound -- this morning when an upstairs toilet and sink were used for the first time since last night -- the sound started while the sink water was still running.

When I add those observations together, I wonder if it's the case that water pressure along the long Pex line to the sprinkler is greater than water pressure through the copper tubing that is used elsewhere in the basement. The Pex line is 1-inch; the copper is 3/4". Is it possible that when water is drawn from the house, water in the Pex line is running backwards to the T-connection to the main copper line and causing it to vibrate?

The walls of the Pex line is thicker than copper, so the interior dimension isn't 1/4" bigger, but it may be somewhat bigger. If that is the problem, how might it be fixed?

Comment

Your regulator was cranked up,the line is longer so it takes longer to bring up to full pressure, ballcock in toilet is humming.
      Who knows...

No pressure does not change with pipe size.

Fix?
      I would like to see it before I can tell.

How's that isolation project coming?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Your regulator was cranked up,the line is longer so it takes longer to bring up to full pressure, ballcock in toilet is humming.
        Who knows...

No pressure does not change with pipe size.

Fix?
        I would like to see it before I can tell.

How's that isolation project coming?
        Thanks again for the help. If the ballcock in the toilet is humming, why would the sound be coming from two stories below the toilet in the basement? If the sound is emanating from the basement, would the source of the sound also be in the basement?

I will be shutting off the system for the winter soon and since the shutoff is close to the T-connection, that should take the pex line out of the equation, so if I no longer hear the sound, that would suggest something about the addition of the pex-line is causing the problem.

Comment

Working...
        X