X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water hammer problem after new sprinkler system

Before we has a small irrigation sprinkler installed at our home a couple of weeks ago, the only time I could hear any water hammer was if I opened an upper-floor faucet full force and slammed it shut - I would hear one thump that lasted a second in the bathroom itself.

Then we had an in-ground sprinkler installed, and now, if I flush a toilet at night (in a different bathroom off our bedroom), then run a faucet briefly, there is sometimes (but not always) a loud, groaning sound that lasts for about 10 seconds and comes from farther away. Also, two toilets that previously were running fine are now running long after they are flushed.

Our house is on city water with a psi about 78 at the street and a bit lower in the house. The water enters the house through a metre in the basement. The water runs up from the metre to near the basement ceiling and turns 90 degrees to run below the ceiling, all in 3/4" copper pipes. When the plumber attached the sprinkler to the water supply, he made a t-connection a few inches from the initial 90-turn, connecting the T to 1" plex which then runs almost straight 30 feet to an exterior wall, so the plex line is perpendicular but in the same plane as the main line. Outside the exterior wall the pipe runs up to a backflow preventer, then down beneath grade to a master valve.

I have not heard problems when the sprinklers are running but believe the problems are related to the sprinkler installation since they only appeared after the installation.

What might be wrong? How do I diagnose the problem? How can it be fixed?

Thanks for all and any suggestions.

Jon

Re: Water hammer problem after new sprinkler system

first thing to try would be to isolate the sprinklers from the house and see if that has any effects. So close the valve that feeds the sprinklers.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
      first thing to try would be to isolate the sprinklers from the house and see if that has any effects. So close the valve that feeds the sprinklers.

G3
      The master valve that feeds the other valves in the sprinkler is located just outside the house and is served by a 30-ft Pex line from the main copper line in the house. That master valve has (or at least should) be closed when the problem has occurred.

I can shut off the flow to the Pex line itself, but since the problem is sporadic, it may take some time to know that is the problem. But the fact I have never heard this sound in 12 years in the house before the sprinkler was installed makes me suspicious.

How might the addition of the Pex line cause the problem?

Comment

Sprinkler systems use fast closing solenoids when they turn on/shut off, that usually is a common source of water hammer
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
          Sprinkler systems use fast closing solenoids when they turn on/shut off, that usually is a common source of water hammer
          Yes. So I've heard. But the challenge here is I'm getting the sounds in the pipes when the sprinklers are not operating.

Comment

I had something similar happen at my house, but it was limited to a hosebibb that was open with a sprayer attatched. When I ran water in the house the pressure in the hose was greater than the pressure inside the house and caused the vibrating hammer noise. Turned off the hosebibb and problem solved. Could be something similar?

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
              I had something similar happen at my house, but it was limited to a hosebibb that was open with a sprayer attatched. When I ran water in the house the pressure in the hose was greater than the pressure inside the house and caused the vibrating hammer noise. Turned off the hosebibb and problem solved. Could be something similar?

Greg
              Thanks Greg. In this case, since I plan to run the irrigation system periodically, I can't turn it off so I'm not sure what the solution might be.

Comment

G3 asked you if you could isolate.
                What happenned?

Comment

Is there a backflow device on the new line to the sprinklers?
                  West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                  Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                    Is there a backflow device on the new line to the sprinklers?
                    Yes, there is a backflow, located on the exterior wall, 30 feet from the t-connection to the main line inside the basement.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      G3 asked you if you could isolate.
                      What happenned?
                      Haven't be able to isolate yet. The challenge is it only happens sporadically, and almost always in the middle of the night when the water hasn't been run for awhile, and I can't get down to the basement quick enough to isolate the problem, at least not so far.

Comment

I did not mean to run to the basement in the middle of the night.

I meant to isolate it now (and leave it off for a few days) and see if that makes the problem go away or if it continues. Trying to eliminate what might or might not be the cause of the problem.

I have a vaccum breaker on an outside faucet and if a hose with a shut off nozzle is on it with the water left on it will moan and groan.

G3

Comment

Sounds like a case of "well i never had the problem until the srinkler system was installed". A plumbers worst nightmare!

Comment

Originally posted by JonLondon View Post
                            Haven't be able to isolate yet. The challenge is it only happens sporadically, and almost always in the middle of the night when the water hasn't been run for awhile, and I can't get down to the basement quick enough to isolate the problem, at least not so far.
                            Actually,cold weather's almost ready to dictate a shutdown anyway up there isn't it.We should be able to find out soon enough.

Comment

I've run into a couple of instances where the plumber removed a couple of pipe clamps in order to make a repair and forgot to reinstall them. Check your pipe runs.

Comment

Working...
                              X