X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring a second circ. pump

Hi all. I recently added a radiant heat zone for a basement bath and am planning on running it off of an existing boiler. the boiler is only being used for heating purposes and there are 2 baseboard zones in addition to the new radiant zone. The baseboard zones are wired to call for heat from a t-stat on the main floor and for a t-stat in the basement (2 seperate zones) when they call for heat the boiler fires and the main circ. pump kicks on. What I want to do is wire an additional t-stat for the radiant zone so that both the main circ. pump (and boiler) kick on as well as the radiant circ. pump independantly of the baseboard zones.....can anyone hold my hand on this one....it would be greatly appreciated.

jt

Re: wiring a second circ. pump

I would say the easiest thing to do would be to get a controller box. Makes wiring a lot easier and simplifies things all together.
    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Taco SR502 or you can get a honneywell R845A relay and follow the directions.
      sigpic

Comment

Why wouldn't you just add another zone valve? You are only adding a zone, so your existing pump should function the same as it would for the other 2 seperately controlled zones you already have.

Also, I believe a mixing valve would also be needed since most radiant baseboard heaters run at about 180F, and floor heat is much cooler.

Comment

Thank you all for your help....with regards to the relay would that be a single zone relay or 2 zone..

Comment

As NH said A taco SR 502 Its a two zone switching relay.....
            You will need to pipe in a mixing valve also dont forget....
            Its the radi in the slab or what?
            Last edited by BrandonG; 10-07-2009, 10:01 PM. Reason: Or what?

Comment

yes it is radiant in slab..and there is a mixing valve in place as well as a honeywell zone valve...my confusion is when the first floor and basement baseboard heat calls for heat the boiler and main circ. pump kicks on....that much is fine now I will be running the basement bath radiant zone off of a standard wall t-stat...so when the radiant calls for heat I will need the boiler and main circ. pump and the radiant circ pump to kick on at the same time....I am havine problems figuring the last part out.

thanks
              jt
              Last edited by threequez; 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by threequez View Post
                yes it is radiant in slab..and there is a mixing valve in place as well as a honeywell zone valve...my confusion is when the first floor and basement baseboard heat calls for heat the boiler and main circ. pump kicks on....that much is fine now I will be running the basement bath radiant zone off of a standard wall t-stat...so when the radiant calls for heat I will need the boiler and main circ. pump and the radiant circ pump to kick on at the same time....I am havine problems figuring the last part out.

thanks
                jt

Why do you need the main circ to turn on????

How it this all piped from the sounds of it you have 3 circs and a zone valve???? Makes no sense at all????

When you run your end switch from your switching relay it will call the burner on

Comment

I'm confused....so I guess I should just wire the radiant circ. pump independantly so that it kicks on along with the boiler whenever the radiant is calling...and the main circ pump should just stay the way it is now ....to just kick on for the baseboard...(I was under the impression that I needed both to kick on)

Comment

Nope!!

Comment

The whole system should have been re-piped as a primary\secondary or piped using a hydronic separator. In either case there should be a main circulator that pumps around the primary loop or through the separator that runs when any zone calls. Then there needs to be either circulators or zone valves or both on each zone. Zone valves or circulators can be controlled by single relays, transformers or either Taco's or tekmar's controllers. Wiring the whole thing get's complicated if you have never done it before, for that matter, so does the piping. This is not a homeowner job by any stretch of the imagination. Even guys that have been in the trade for years have problems with mixed systems and controls.
                      sigpic

Comment

thanks for your help.

jt

Comment

One Circ Pump, 3 Zone Valves, One 3 -way Mixing valve, and professional installation, and you'll have warm floors in no time.

Otherwise, good luck getting it to work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by whallupaz View Post
                            One Circ Pump, 3 Zone Valves, One 3 -way Mixing valve, and professional installation, and you'll have warm floors in no time.

Otherwise, good luck getting it to work properly.

Well played!!

Comment

Working...
                            X