Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Valve/switch for switching to a second H20 source when a storage tank is empty?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve/switch for switching to a second H20 source when a storage tank is empty?

I'm new to this forum, but it looks really helpful. I have a house from 1896, so I'm sure I'll be here asking questions pretty frequently.

I'm trying to set up a system to collect rainwater and groundwater that my basement sump pump usually pumps out to the street and use it for my toilets and outside spigots. I think I've got most of it figured out, but I'd like to be able to switch to my main water supply when the tank is empty. Any suggestions on doing that? Is there a valve that will stay open to one source when it has pressure and then open for the other source if not?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Valve/switch for auto switching between sources

Assuming someone has a well and is hooked up to the municipal water supply as a backup, is there a valve that will swtich to the municipal supply if the well pump stops providing water?

Comment

Re: Valve/switch for switching to a second H20 source when a storage tank is empty?

A simple float valve in the tank.

Comment

Re: Valve/switch for switching to a second H20 source when a storage tank is empty?

Thanks, drtyhands. A float valve in the tank will tell the monitor the level of water in the tank, but how can I get the plumbing to switch to the municipal water supply when the tank is empty? Forgive me if I'm not understanding.

Comment

It seems what you need is a float switch which will open a solenoid to the city water and close a solenoid to the storage water. These type of systems must make sure you take cross-connection control into consideration and are probably not legal in some areas.

Mark
          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 10-13-2009, 11:25 AM.
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be violating any laws or allowing the rainwater I'm collecting to be introduced into the city water system. I guess I'd just have to connect the rainwater tank/pump directly to the toilets or spigots to eliminate the risk of contamination. I was just trying to avoid running out of rainwater. Maybe I'll start with an outside spigot and see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice.
            Last edited by a1lawng; 10-13-2009, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X