Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusually Stubborn Kitchen Sink Clog

Hi.

My kitchen sink is a double sink with a garbage disposal on one side. Last month, the sink was slow and then clogged up completely. In that 1.5" pvc line was a broken seal so I decided to cut out the whole section with the break and replace it. For unimportant reasons, this took over two weeks. The pipes that were cut out has all manner of smelly gunk on the bottom half of them. These pieces were put aside in my basement, with the intent of me throwing it all out once the repairs were complete. After the first week, I noticed that all the gunk in the pipes had solidified completely. This gunk was now a solid mass that looked like black plastic. This black stuff separated from the interior of the pipe and after it was removed the pipes looked almost new - completely white. These black pieces came out by the foot.

The pipe was eventually fixed and two Y pieces was installed, so the pipes can be snaked in line with the water or backwards to the sink/disposal. Now it's about a month after the repair and the water is backing up again. Between the double Y and sink is a pair of 90 degree bends about a foot apart. I think the problem is that when the pipes were dry for those two weeks, the gunk solidified and these large pieces are stuck by those 90's. There is a few bends directly under the sink, at least one 90, and I cannot get a snake to go through them.

My snake is twenty three feet long wrapped in a plastic sheath with an open corkscrew boring head, chucked into a cordless drill. When I snake backwards, at some point I pierce though the clog and all the water comes to me via this plastic sheath. I keep a pair of 5 gallon buckets nearby and use them to catch the water. I think that the original clog was never completely removed and now that black stuff has compounded the problem. Over the course of this fiasco, I've used various drain unclogging products as well as acid safe for pvc (I cannot recall which). Just yesterday I used Liquid Plumr Foaming Pipe Snake with no evidence of effect.

The kitchen is cantilevered over my back patio and I cannot get underneath it to access the pipes from there.

I've seen professional snakes where the head was circular, like a forstner bit, with little bits of chain on it. I've been wondering if attaching a small length of chain to the boring head of my snake would work.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can use to clear my blockage and get my pipes running normally again?

Thanks!

Paul

Re: Unusually Stubborn Kitchen Sink Clog

I'm busy and just stopped on the forum to check real quick, so you get the quick answer from me.

#1 and MOST IMPORTANT. STOP mixing drain cleaning chemicals!!! If you mix the right ones together you will create what is essentially Mustard gas and you WILL die.

#2 You need a better snake or a pro. Sounds like you've been clogged for a while now, maybe it's time to make the call.
    If you call in a pro, make SURE you tell them of the chemical cocktail, his eye sight and life may depend on that info.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      #1 STOP mixing drain cleaning chemicals
      I'm not mixing chemicals. I listed the various chemicals I used over the course of a few weeks, and that was two months ago. The Liquid Pumbr I mentioned was the first product I've used in the drain in weeks.

#2 You need a better snake
      Clarification of this would be mighty useful.
      Last edited by paulb104; 10-08-2009, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Take your little drain snake and put a 45 degree bend on the end of the cable.
        Have at 'er!

Comment

I'm busy and just stopped on the forum to check real quick, so you get the quick answer from me.

#1 and MOST IMPORTANT. STOP mixing drain cleaning chemicals!!! If you mix the right ones together you will create what is essentially Mustard gas and you WILL die.

#2 You need a better snake or a pro. Sounds like you've been clogged for a while now, maybe it's time to make the call.
          If you call in a pro, make SURE you tell them of the chemical cocktail, his eye sight and life may depend on that info.
          well spoken

Comment

A number of people have messaged/emailed me about this.

I disconnected the disposal and capped that pipe off. I've poured, over the course of about thirty minutes, over eleven gallons of boiling water and that didn't seem to help.

Someone suggested those inflatable bladder things. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Comment

Suggest You go to the tool up site,click on ridgid drain , Buy a K- 39. $333.50 A couple of service calls, not made ,will pay for it! Or You stay in ground hog day a looong time! Good luck
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

CALL A PROFESSIONAL!!!! He will unclog it within an hour!!!

The bladder bag is very messy if not used correct, you will be adding water to a drain that can not handle more water.

Comment

So since I had the pots out, the garbage disposal out of the loop and the sink empty, I decided to keep doing the boiling water thing. I had already done over eleven gallons of boiling water with no apparent change.

With the first six quarts of boiling water the sink backed up. Thinking that the pressure of a full sink of water might help, I filled the sink as high as possible with boiling water and as it drained out slowly, I kept refilling it. After about four gallons of water, I looked at the sink and it was about half full. I turned around to talk to the wife for a minute and when I turned around, the sink was empty. No sounds, no water. I filled all my pots, boiled them, dumped them all down and no hesitation. I waited about half an hour and ran cold water for a few minutes. I put some lye down the drain with more cold water, waited half an hour and ran the cold again. An hour later I repeated that process. I've reconnected the disposal and have washed all the pots and run the dishwasher twice with no problems.

So in the end, I guess the boiling water worked!

Comment

You lie!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

actually i've had pretty good luck using hot water to clear slow drains. mostly lavs. breid..............

Comment

Working...
                      X