X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Drain Mystery

Hi All over the weekend my kitchen drain backed up Probably from food and grease etc that goes down the drain. I tried to unclog it myself which worked somewhat be still a bit slow. So I called a professional drain cleaner in my area. He snaked the drain but got stuck several times in about the same place. He then put the see snake camera down ,we all watched to see what the problem was but the camera got stuck and it was impossible to tell. So he thinks that the drain which he tells me is galvanized iron may have collapsed in one section. To fix this would mean jack hammering up the garage floor and who knows where to.Anyone have any thoughts.
    Last edited by chief39; 10-13-2009, 06:07 PM.

Re: Slow Drain Mystery

Well if you cant reroute the new drain...
    Be happy its the garage floor, it could be worse

Comment

Was there evidence that it was crushed or is that just a hunch. He might be right but then again may not be if it's a hunch. If it is crushed well then I would find a way to reroute the line. Now where the drain cleaner guy got stuck is that out in the main or is that your drain still going to the main?

Comment

Evidence provided sounds as thouh the bottom of the pipe is rotted out.
        Busting up a floor sucks but cement is cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
          Well if you cant reroute the new drain...
          Be happy its the garage floor, it could be worse

Like having to dig a busy street. Wasn't Plumber Rick telling us about a building he was working on that had a $25,000 repair because of a busy intersection.

Comment

i don't remember the 25k. but the job you're probably referring to is the one on melrose that was a telephone co that was plugged up and it was 9' deep under a busy street.

the line had been bored through by another pipeline co.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

did they get the camera unstuck?

gal. waste pipe is not legal underground out here.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

They did get the camera unstuck but it took a while ,it was cool watching the camera go down the pipe. they worked on the drain for a couple hours altogether he got stuck on the way to the main line I think it is hard to know for sure as it is an old house and we are not sure exactly where the pipes run. The drain guys opion is just a hunch that the pipe has collaped or broken, I guess the only way to really find out is dig up the concrete which we can do no problem just a pain and a bit messy.it should only be about 6 inches down not the end of the world.There is no other place to re route the pipe as the floor and walls are all concrete so digging up the existing line to find the problem seems as the most practical. It will be interesting to see what we find I will try to take photos and post then here. The galvanized waste pipe was probably put in in the 40s or 50s the rest of the waste pipe seems to be cast iron I have no idea why it was done that way just very old.

Comment

You have a very positive perception of your remedy.Makes a job go smoother.
                  Good Luck

Comment

It's nice to see a property Manager that appreciates good service,and doesn't second guess,or cheap out on a proper job! Hope You are a regular now posting Pictures of the fix! Welcome aboard! Tool
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                        Was there evidence that it was crushed or is that just a hunch. He might be right but then again may not be if it's a hunch. If it is crushed well then I would find a way to reroute the line. Now where the drain cleaner guy got stuck is that out in the main or is that your drain still going to the main?
                        these are my questions also. what did the camera specifically show? did he locate where he got stuck? is there video evidence (tape, disc, etc) or just his word?

good luck with this

steve
                        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

The crushed pipe is just a hunch of the drain guy, it is on the way to the main line I believe,the camera didnt really show what the problem was I was watching the whole time Too much water and crap in the pipe. He didnt have his locating camera with him but said he would return for no charge when we want to start digging up the floor. He also put the camera down the main line clean out which looked clear. Thanks for the questions.It makes me smarter when I need to decide which way to proceed.

Comment

maybe try having it jetted or relined

Comment

I got another drains cleaning contactor to check out the drain and after a couple hours he figured out the line was completely blocked where the branch joins the main line pluged solid with grease.The snake wouldnt cut through it, so he could just reach and got it started with a long piece of steel. During the process water came up between the footings and the concrete floor so it looks like there is some rot somewhere in the pipe or a not so good fitting, it all looked pretty good on the camera. Once the drain was cleaned there were no more leaks hopefully good for a few more years.

Comment

Working...
                              X