Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tapping into drain line

you have 2 different issues.

the water heater pan/ smitty pan, should be extended to the outside where you can see it if it ever leaks. remember that it potentially can discharge hot water. also the pressure relief valve needs to run separate from the pan.

as far as you condensate drain. why not just pipe it to a wye branch tailpiece for the lav sink. this is legal and approved.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

So is the consensus then to forget plumbing altogether, and drain the condensation pump right outside the house? also the drain from the hot water heater pan? Sounds so 18th century!

I wouldn't want to run the hot water heater pan to the outside, that would be like cutting a 1" hole in the wall and let in all the ice cold air, since it is open at the top in the pan in my heated space area of the house.

Comment

didn't know you're in the artic

a swing check valve will stop the flow of cold air.

i don't see an issue with that. make sure to install a "swing" check and not a "spring" check valve.

remember that the pan will never leak or drip until you have an issue with the heater. it could be 10-15 years before it ever drips.

rick.

p.s. the condensate should be piped to a wye branch tailpiece of a lav sink.
        phoebe it is

Comment

It sounds easier/more logical to run the condensate line right outside rather than running a plastic tube up through the floor and into the kitchen or bathroom, then into a sink tailpipe. Remeber, it is down in the crawlspace under the house. My first choice was directly into the PVC line from the washing machine. Since this forum tells me I can't do it, then out the wall is second best.

Swing check valve looks like a good idea to close off the air leak from the house regarding the water heater pan. thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X