Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tapping into drain line

I have two separate questions that are related

1. I have a hot water heater that they just put a pan under it in order to get a cert of occupancy to sell the house to me. They ran 1" PVC from the pan through a hole in the floor into the crawlspace, where the pipe just dangles. So if any water ever leaked into the pan, it would just get dumped into my crawlspace. About 10" horizontally away from this dangling pipe is a 2" PVC drain pipe that drains the washing machine into the main drain line. This 2" PCV pipe runs 1" under the 9" joists, so there is about 10" of vertical clearance between the pipe and the floor. If there is any vent or trap, it must be within the wall, because i don't see anything visible, but I assume that whatever needed to be done is done. Circa 1985.

Can I put a 'y' or 'T' into the 2" horizontal PVC and connect the stub pipe directly into the drain? Does it need a trap (even though the trap would obviously be dry all the time)? The washing machine standpipe is open, so I doubt any additional venting would be required.

2. I also want to put a dehumidifier in the crawlspace with a condensation pump. How do I connect the discharge from the pump into the 2" PVC pipe? Do I use another 'Y' or 't'? Do I need a trap? Can I seal it in, or can I create an open standpipe, wider than the discharge tubing, so to speak, and just let the discharge tube feed into the pipe, similar to the washing machine? Or better yet, can I just cut a hole into the 1" PVC pipe coming from the hot water heater pan, insert the tube, and silicone caulk it in? That would be easiest.

All ideas appreciated.

Re: tapping into drain line

These drain connections need a trap,vent,air gap and trap primer.

Comment

They used to make a device that would go on top of the washing machine drain for water softeners,Think it's Mr Drain.If they are approved I'm sure they could take condensate from your pimp.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        They used to make a device that would go on top of the washing machine drain for water softeners,Think it's Mr Drain.If they are approved I'm sure they could take condensate from your pimp.
        I just googled Mr Drain. Looks like a way to go without having to do traps, vents, or actually any real plumbing at all. Means I would cut another hole in the floor, and run the tube from the condensation pump into the house and into the top of the washing machine stack.

I guess I could run the stub from the water heater pan into the condensation pump also, so no real plumbing there also.

Only possible fly in the ointment: The washing machine standpipe is between the wall except for the very top, which peaks out at a 45 degree angle. So if you clip "Mr Drain " to it, then Mr Drain will be at a 45 degree angle, and I don't know if it is required to be vertical, as in the pictures, since I assume it has some type of internal vent/trap

Comment

another thought...why do I need Mr Drain? If the washing machine overflow can dump into the standpipe, why can't I just also dump the condensation tube into the same standpipe? It should be wide enough for both.

Comment

It's an air break device to keep waste water from contaminating HVAC system.

Comment

Drill a hole in the wall and pipe it out of the crawlspace. Leave the DWV be.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                These drain connections need a trap,vent,air gap and trap primer.
                and accessible! ie not in yout crawl space

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                  and accessible! ie not in yout crawl space
                  Crawlspaces aren't considered accessible there?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

It's suppose to exit to the outside. 6" to 18" off the ground. the end can not have a thread
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

for ipc I don't think they care if the pan drain has threads on the end, just the T&P can't.

"I could be wrong, it's kinda late for me"
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

a trap connected to the sanitary with a air gap recieving liquid from a water heater drain pan in a crawl space under a property i would not see that flying where i'm from

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                          a trap connected to the sanitary with a air gap recieving liquid from a water heater drain pan in a crawl space under a property i would not see that flying where i'm from
                          Seems it would be "accessible" but would need a primer as drtyhands says.

Less trouble to me to pipe it out the wall. It's already in the crawlspace.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            It's suppose to exit to the outside. 6" to 18" off the ground. the end can not have a thread
                            pretty close tool

6'' min off the ground and 24'' max.

6'' to keep the bugs and critters from crawling in and 24'' to keep the little guys and gals from getting under them and potentially getting scalded.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Drill a hole in the wall and pipe it out of the crawlspace. Leave the DWV be.

J.C.
                              Good idea J.C., Ive seen sump pumps done this way. They just drilled a hole and ran it outside and away from the house. Just remember to pick it up when you mow the lawn or you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise, and if much water comes out of there you'll be mowing a fair bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X