• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of going Tankless

Originally posted by theoak View Post
    You may find this interesting ...
    Thanks, a lot of good info in there.

Right now I'm hoping that by buying the unit and venting at discount and doing some of the install myself, with a plumber's services only as needed, I can accomplish this install for about the same cost as a tank type heater.

It will actually be cheaper because the unit I bought qualifies for the 30% tax credit.

If you have to pay $2500+, I don't see any payback.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
      I'm hoping that by buying the unit and venting at discount and doing some of the install myself
      I've read on bumper stickers that truckers make good lovers, but do truckers make good plumbers?

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
        I've read on bumper stickers that truckers make good lovers, but do truckers make good plumbers?
        Don't be silly, I said I'm using a plumber.

Comment

Which part are you going to do?
          Water, gas, electrical, vent?

Comment

The vent and maybe the water.

Comment

Here in my state homeowners can do their own electrical, is it the same in Jersey?

(And let's not talk about the Packers, it's a sensitive subject this week.)
              Last edited by Dairylander; 11-05-2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I believe you can work on your own property. I try to avoid getting a permit, if possible. The electric panel board is right close by and there is a plug for an electric clothes dryer. Maybe I'll have him run me another gas line and get a gas dryer too!

I just did two small decks ( 8' X 10'), front and back, over top of deteriorating concrete steps. Since they were a replacement for the steps, the BI said I didn't need a permit.

OK, so now with my water heater project going on inside the house, do you think I'm gonna get a permit for it?

Comment

Phil ,read down 3 threads . You'll get over it!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Finished the install yesterday.

Came in about the same money that a tank type would have been (about $1000), so far we're happy with the results.

Just to show that you can do it for well under the $2500+ some plumbers were quoting me.

Comment

Is that Category III vent pipe? It does not look right to me. Also I do not see a drip leg on the gas piping but it might be out of the picture. I like to put the drip leg right at the heater.

Finished the install yesterday.

Came in about the same money that a tank type would have been (about $1000), so far we're happy with the results.

Just to show that you can do it for well under the $2500+ some plumbers were quoting me.
                      Attached Files
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I am happy to see you used black pipe for the gas and not galvanized, also happy to see the isolation valves installed.

One other note, but this depends on your local codes. Did you use the pressure relief valve that came with the isolation valves? Or did you install a T&P valve? Here in Illinois it is required to install a T&P valve.

Comment

ron, out here we can use either black or gal. and drip legs are not required as our gas is dry.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            Is that Category III vent pipe? It does not look right to me. Also I do not see a drip leg on the gas piping but it might be out of the picture. I like to put the drip leg right at the heater.

You're very observant, matter of fact the plumber came back this morning to install the drip leg, he didn't have one with him yesterday.

The vent is Tankless Water Heater 3”/ 5” Concentric Direct Vent, made by Metal-Fab Inc. http://www.mtlfab.com/media/L2555.pdf

I needed to order another 24" section to make the wall and it was shipped right from Rheem. They caution you not to try to mix vent pipe from different manufacturers.

I did use the pressure relief valve that came with the isolation valves.

Comment

Ah I never seen the Metal-Fab pipe, thats why I didn't recognize it. I would check with your local codes about using only a pressure relief valve. Other than that Looks good, glad it all went well for you.

You're very observant, matter of fact the plumber came back this morning to install the drip leg, he didn't have one with him yesterday.

The vent is Tankless Water Heater 3”/ 5” Concentric Direct Vent, made by Metal-Fab Inc. http://www.mtlfab.com/media/L2555.pdf

I needed to order another 24" section to make the wall and it was shipped right from Rheem. They caution you not to try to mix vent pipe from different manufacturers.

I did use the pressure relief valve that came with the isolation valves.

Comment

Working...
                              X