Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello plumbing experts! - Break in sewer line - video included!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello plumbing experts! - Break in sewer line - video included!

Hello everyone,

I'm very glad I located this forum - and I am hoping someone might be able to give me some advice / referral for my current situation.

I am currently selling my house, and under contract. (We close Nov.4)

- The house was built in 1928, and the sewer line is 4" clay tile.
    - The sewer main is 105' out from the house.
    - 3" cast iron cleanout in basement, with lift station (cleanout is about 3 feet off the ground.)

During the course of the inspection, the buyer and I had the line scoped by a reputable company that only does scoping... the guy I worked with was very cool, even though he flooded my garage, but that's another story...

Here are the specifics of what he found:

- 4-5" break in side/bottom of line, 53' out.
    - This break is 4'5" down, underneath a poured concrete patio slab. (Awesome!)
    - There is a low spot in the line (1/2" water), at about 51'.
    - Some cracks in pipe at 45' or so.

Here's the video. The interesting part starts at 3:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wcHDaEejZA

We obviously need to have this fixed.

So here is my question:

1. Does this seem to be a good candidate for CIPP / trenchless repair? The one plumber I spoke to says he doesn't do this, but I can expect a CIPP company to insist on doing the entire line, to the tune of about $85/ft. This seems a little crazy to me, especially because one of the main upsides of CIPP is the ability to do sectional repairs.

2. I have a quote from a friend of my realtor for $2800. This would include breaking up the slab, replacing the damaged line at 53'-45', and re-pouring the concrete slab. This seems very reasonable to me... almost too reasonable. (I worry that the final number might jump dramatically.)

3. I have been trying to find a CIPP installer to get a quote here in the Boulder, CO area, but the only outfit I can find seems to have had a few (very) bad reviews... and no good ones. Does anyone know of anyone they can suggest?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this novel. If you need more information, just let me know, and I'll answer ASAP. I really appreciate any insight you may be able to provide.
    Last edited by random_homeowner; 10-21-2009, 07:12 PM.

Re: Hello plumbing experts! - Break in sewer line - video included!

You don't need a $2,800 sewer repair

Set aside $10,000 in escrow when you go to settlement because you won't likely have it replaced by then. Let the new homeowner deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      You don't need a $2,800 sewer repair

Set aside $10,000 in escrow when you go to settlement because you won't likely have it replaced by then. Let the new homeowner deal with it.
      Sorry, does this mean you think it's going to be more than $2800?

Comment

Originally posted by random_homeowner View Post
        Sorry, does this mean you think it's going to be more than $2800?
        Yes, because you need a full replacement, not a repair. If the buyer has a copy of this video, you're pretty much screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Yes, because you need a full replacement, not a repair. If the buyer has a copy of this video, you're pretty much screwed.
          Could you explain a bit as to why you believe it requires a full replacement?
          (The scope guy said his only point of concern was the break at 53'.)

I'm just asking because neither the scope guy / plumber suggested that the whole line needed replacing.

Comment

Get the New owner, to be, to sign off on the amount of repair for $2800 only. This is after he reads the report and sees the video Don't discuss the $ amount. Get a firm contract for $2800. Forget giving away $10,000 ! Crack is into the TEA this time of Night !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Get the New owner, to be, to sign off on the amount of repair for $2800 only. This is after he reads the report and sees the video Don't discuss the $ amount. Get a firm contract for $2800. Forget giving away $10,000 ! Crack is into the TEA this time of Night !
              Hah, I'm afraid to ask what "TEA" means.

I'm just guessing here with regards to Crack's assessment- but I'd be willing to bet that this pipe is beyond its lifespan, and fixing this spot would be like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound. Is that about right?

We live in a section of town called "Old Town" and all of the homes are almost 100 years old - and it seems like this sort of thing is very common in the area. Obviously it would be great to have a brand new sewer line installed, but I don't want to be the guy paying for it.

Comment

This line is a perfect candidate for trenchless lining (CIPP).

Point repairs are not an option here in my opinion. This line is in bad shape but could be completely rehabilitated by lining it to the end.

Check your PM Random Homeowner.
                www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                  This line is a perfect candidate for trenchless lining (CIPP).

Point repairs are not an option here in my opinion. This line is in bad shape but could be completely rehabilitated by lining it to the end.

Check your PM Random Homeowner.
                  Thanks so much for the response.

There is no need for anyone to explain what's wrong with the line- jrsaltz explained it in great detail in his PM.

Comment

2,800 for a repair in Boulder? 28 don't buy you nothing here, but maybe a couple of drunk carpenters and a son-in-law using a rented backhoe.

be afraid, be very afraid....
                    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by random_homeowner View Post
                      Hah, I'm afraid to ask what "TEA" means.

I'm just guessing here with regards to Crack's assessment- but I'd be willing to bet that this pipe is beyond its lifespan, and fixing this spot would be like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound. Is that about right?

We live in a section of town called "Old Town" and all of the homes are almost 100 years old - and it seems like this sort of thing is very common in the area. Obviously it would be great to have a brand new sewer line installed, but I don't want to be the guy paying for it.
                      They are buying an old house! Are You going to replace the roof.elec service panel,boiler, kitchen,ect. ? TEA IS BOOZE
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        They are buying an old house! Are You going to replace the roof.elec service panel,boiler, kitchen,ect. ? TEA IS BOOZE
                        Yeah, what's crazy is- everything in this place has been redone- EXCEPT for the plumbing leaving the house.

New hot water system, new kitchen, new roof, new floors, new carpet, etc....

This is the same argument I made to my wife- if they want a new sewer system, they should be looking at new properties.

Seems to me that for a nominal investment of $10k of THEIR MONEY, they can be comfortable in the knowledge that they have a new sewer line.

Especially since they are paying cash for the house.(!)

Comment

There's an old saying " time for tight pants and big balls " Don't blink ! good luck and
                          go the $2800 They'll do fine with a good fixed contract. Some here hate to see any one
                          lowball a job they'd do for $6000." WOULD YOU LIKE CHEEZE WITH THAT WINE ? " P.S. please take photos of all the sewer and concrete work, and tell them their work will be seen by thousands of pros.

Comment

Again......Do not just repair a hole in a sewer that is in such bad shape!

This sewer is shot! There are several breaks and cracks in it and the root growth is aggressive enough that it will be a constant problem.

It needs to be replaced entirely or lined with CIPP. Anything other than that is a waste of time and money.

My 2 cents.
                            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                              Again......Do not just repair a hole in a sewer that is in such bad shape!

This sewer is shot! There are several breaks and cracks in it and the root growth is aggressive enough that it will be a constant problem.

It needs to be replaced entirely or lined with CIPP. Anything other than that is a waste of time and money.

My 2 cents.
                              Hey there,

Just an update. The buyers and I have come to an agreement- I will be giving them a cash credit at closing, and they will be fixing the line on their own, after closing.

As to what option they choose, it looks like it's (thankfully) going to be up to them.

JR, I'm going to pass your info onto them, if its OK with you. (Just in case you are up for a long drive.)

Comment

Working...
                              X