X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathtub / Shower Drain Leak?

I recently found a water spot on our kitchen ceiling.
    Cutting through the dry wall, I can see a White PCV pipe that is probably the pipe leading to the drain in the bathtub. While my son was taking a shower, I found that water seems to be going into bathtub drain and then dripping out along the white PCV pipe and onto the drywall in the kitchen ceiling. There is no insulation around the pipe.

As a test, I then waited about 30 minutes and started the water in the tub. I let it run with the drain open for 20 minutes and did not see any water. I then pulled up the shower stop to turn on the shower head. But, still no drip.

I am not sure where or how the water is dripping out, but I can see it coming down along the pipe...

If I spray the Great Stuff Insulation (red can yellow top) around the PCV pipe and the adjacent area, would this stop the water from leaking on to then onto the drywall in the kitchen ceiling?

Any ideas on how to find where the water is getting out and dripping on to the pipe?

Re: Bathtub / Shower Drain Leak?

No Great Stuff. Could be crack in tub, caulking problem, drain problem etc.

Fill the tub with hot water. Let sit for 5 minutes. Look for leak.

Let the water drain. Look for leak.

Spray shower head all around the walls. Look for leak.

Direct the water at the tub trim Look for leak.

Report back. Might need plumber.

J.C.

Comment

ok..

I filled the tub with water and let it sit and no leak.
      I drained it and no leak.

I aimed the shower head at the sides of the wall and back ,,no leak,.

took a half gallon of water and poured it along the edge of the tub behind the faucet.
      The water ran along the tub trim/rim and down the outside to the corner on the floor.

That was it.
      Your tips lead me down the path of trying the half gallon.

Not sure why it is coming down around the pipe.

Anyway, I applied tub and tile Sealant - (Polyseamseal) around where the floor meets the
      tub and up along the area where the tub meets the wall,,

Tried the same test with the half gallon of water and no leak.

Any problem with using the Great Stuff under the floor around the pipe as a secondary sealant?

Comment

I would not use the spray foam insulation myself.

Goes everywhere, impossible to get off your hands, and something you have to work around/cut out if you have a different problem.

Just my opinion.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Ask This Old House did a similar spot on their TV show. You may want to do a search on their website.

Check the caulking around the tub and the floor. They found when the person walked out of the tub/shower dripping wet, and the water from the floor seeped from around the tub base and the floor. Cleaning out the old casulk and new caulk fixed the problem.

Another area is the seal around the glass shower/tub doors if used.

Look at the faucet too..as the trim may be covering a large opening and water is getting in there.

Shooting foam insulation will not eliminate the leak. Leaks must be located and fixed!

Cactus Man

Comment

no foam it ain't cold. go to napa store and get an inspection mirror with long extension handle. get a really bright flashlight. then have son take shower while you use your new tools to look. works for me. minus your kid. also quit caulking or doing any repairs until you find the problem. and there could be more than one. breid..........

Comment

Ok.

I thought I was finished, but I was in the kitchen and saw more drips as the shower was being used.

I poured some water on the top of the tub behind the faucet.
              I thought I calked enough but it turns out water is running along the edge and down the side and onto the floor.

The water gets under the quarter round and floor tile and is running down to the pipe and onto the kitchen ceiling.

See attached.

I think when the tub was installed it was not balanced.

So, I am going to have to pull the quarter round to se if there is mold.

Do I seal the area under the quarter round?
              Or do I somehow deflect the water from coming down the back edge and onto the floor or both seal and deflect?
              Attached Files

Comment

Make sure you caulk the tub trim first.

Around the spout.

Around the escutcheon where the handle is located.

Water could sneak in at the baseboard and quarter round. There is evidence all the way up on the wall paper. But I'm not so sure how it's getting there.

What's with the tile broken at the bottom of the picture?

J.C.

Comment

I attached two more pics.

In the picture of the tub, I poured a gallon of water down across the on/off/hot/cold knob (escutcheon), the spigot and the overflow drain and no water leaked.

I poured water along the quarter round and the water leaked through to the kitchen celing. The water is pooling on the tub ledge and running along the trim against the tile and leaking down off the tub to the floor (image 3)

I guess I need to remove the quarter round to see what needs to be sealed?

The broken tile is actually where the floor vent goes.
                  I pulled it up to check there...the other attached picture shows the area with the vent partially back in place (image 2)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you've proven it to be going in at the floor & quarter round area.

I've never done it, but I want to tell you to remove the quarter round, put silicone caulk under and behind it, then reinstall it.

After things are good and dry of course.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Looks like you've proven it to be going in at the floor & quarter round area.

I've never done it, but I want to tell you to remove the quarter round, put silicone caulk under and behind it, then reinstall it.

After things are good and dry of course.

J.C.
                      Thats just what I was thinking. Dry it with a hair-dryer, clean any foreign material, apply silicone, reinstall quarter round, seal top and bottom of quarter round if necessary.

Comment

polyurea spray,insulation

I have faced the leakage problem few yrs back.I have tried polyurea spray for the leakage problem.Its results amazing.It features e.g absrain resistance,water proof coatings,chemical resistance,corrosion resistance quality solved all my problem.
                        Last edited by jhons; 04-14-2010, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Could the water be coming in through the floor vent? Noticed a little rust there.

Comment

Leakage in roofing ,water is leakage from roof to wall.I thought that water pipie is leakage.I have applied Ultimate linings polyurea spray from roof to floor for water resistance protection.
                            Last edited by jhons; 04-14-2010, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Have you thought about using a shower splash guard on the corner of the tub ?

Comment

Working...
                              X