X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vent for sink

I have to had a sink in a new office but the closest vent is at 250 ft. Does it make sense to connect it that far?

Re: vent for sink

No. Run new vent.

J.C.

Comment

why? (I don't want to work in the above tenant space for that)

Comment

Originally posted by alupien View Post
        why? (I don't want to work in the above tenant space for that)
        Then don't.

J.C.

Comment

What ever You do DON'T run an AAV ! A big Irishman from New Hampshire will cross the border and kick Your A$$! Got that AHH !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by alupien View Post
            I have to had a sink in a new office but the closest vent is at 250 ft. Does it make sense to connect it that far?
            Step one - chug a beer out of a long neck bottle. Turn it completely upside down from the get go. Step 2 -Take a can beer and carefully cut a hole in the bottom. Put your finger over the hole, open lid, start chugging while removing finger. Notice the difference in how the can beer drains! This is a good demonstration of how and why plumbing vents work and are necessary.
            Step 3 - Blow nose!

personal disclaimer - have never tried this personally

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
              Step one - chug a beer out of a long neck bottle. Turn it completely upside down from the get go. Step 2 -Take a can beer and carefully cut a hole in the bottom. Put your finger over the hole, open lid, start chugging while removing finger. Notice the difference in how the can beer drains! This is a good demonstration of how and why plumbing vents work and are necessary.
              Step 3 - Blow nose!

Wow! I liked that experiment. I tried it 3 or 4 times, I forget exactly how many and it worked every time. Vents are good!

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                Step 3 - Blow nose!

Are You a drunk ,or just a good plumber?
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Hey, I resemble that remark!

After all, I pride myself on being both.

Starkle, starkle little twink,
                  Who the heck are you, I think...

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    YES

Actually, I am a machinist by trade, and work as a mechanical designer. I also do some IT stuff that somehow seems to fall into my lap wherever I work. As far as plumbing skills go, I will do anything to my own home, but will only help friends on stuff that is outside of the wall, not inside. I know when to call a pro, and when a friend is involved, that is more often than not. I can sweat copper, not pretty, but improving, and have never had a joint fail in service. I can do light electrical, rough carpentry, and some finish (base/crown/jambs) but nothing fancy. All are self taught, with much of my plumbing knowledge coming from this forum.

As far as the drunk part goes, only on days that end in a Y! Just kidding, although I have been known to do some liquor cabinet/beer fridge magic - make stuff disappear.

Comment

Hello Friends......
                      The maximum distance to the common vent would be 6'.It will create aproblem if it is to far. So I suggest You to keep the distance little to avoid problems.
                      Thanks
                      GreatForum

Comment

Vents just protect the trap they don't help the sink drain, if you were to cover up the sink with plastic wrap air tight it would'nt drain until you put a hole in the plastic then the sink would also go chug chug. Vents just protect the trap.

Comment

VENTS KEEP THE PRESSURE THE SAME AS OUTSIDE. POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE. IF YOU HAVE A LONG RUN ON A VENT THAT IS MORE AIR THAT HAS TO MOVE THROUGH THE SYSTEM WHICH WILL MAKE FOR A SLOW DRAIN OR CHUG CHUG OR GURGLE THOUGH THE DRAIN. I SEE THIS PROBLEM ON A LOT OF OLD HOUSES. THINK ABOUT A S-TRAP UNDER A SINK OR LAV THEY ALWAYS DRAIN SLOWER THAN A PROPERLY VENTED SYSTEM. THE BEER TRICK WORKS. VENTS HELP THE DRAINS DRAIN KEEP PRESSURE THE SAME AND LET GASES EVACUATE TO THE ATMOSHERE.

Comment

Hi alupien I don't think it is feasible to do that.It w'd be better idea to go for new vent.

Comment

S traps don't drain any slower. they still use s trap standards for mop/ service sinks the problem is they lose their trap seal by momentum syphonage. Try to drain a sink with a vent and then without same time for water to go down, only diffrence will be the loss of trap seal.

Comment

Working...
                              X