Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heat Recovery Unit and hot water circulating pump...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Recovery Unit and hot water circulating pump...

I am installing a heat recovery unit since my AC unit needs to be fixed anyways. I have also thought about a hot water circulation pump so I can get hot water quicker in my master bath on the other side of the house.

The HRU manufacturer specifies connecting their unit to the cold water line at the top of the hot water tank and connecting the return at the bottom of the tank's drain. I've also seen the feed connected at the top of the tank with a Tee on the pressure relief valve.

Mainly brainstorming at this point, as I don't know if it would work or would be a good idea, but would it be possible to use the HRU's pump to circulate the water through the heat exchanger and act as a hot water circulating pump to run through the whole house?

Potential issues:
    Large efficiency loss due to long un-insulated pipe run below the slab
    Pump not strong enough for long runs, can be alleviated to some extent with larger pipe

Re: Heat Recovery Unit and hot water circulating pump...

I checked the specs on the pump, it is a taco 006 model 230v:

http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products...nt_category=52

HRU manufacturer says 150' max one way run with 3/4 pipe, so we're okay there.

I would need some type of timer circuit to run the pump during the times I want hot water, in addition to the compressor contactor energizing it when the AC is running, and would need to make sure they are isolated so nothing backfeeds, but that is not a big deal.

I'm not real familiar with how hot water loops are done though, I've seen push and pull systems, and don't know which is the best. So I'm not sure of the best way to plumb it and achieve both goals, or if its even possible.

Comment

Originally posted by justin00stang View Post

I checked the specs on the pump, it is a taco 006 model 230v:

http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products...nt_category=52

Whatever it is that you do please dont put 230V to this your pump will be whistling dixie!!!

Comment

Hello Friends....

How much water do we waste waiting for hot water? We have seen figures estimating 10 gallons of water are wasted a day, waiting for the shower, tap, dishwasher etc. This cost money and is a total waste.
        To get instant hot water you need to have a loop in the piping system that circulates hot water back to the water heater. Recirculating pump systems employs a temperature actuated by-pass valve that connects the cold and hot water supply lines at the fixture that is farthest away from the water heater. The system is designed to provide hot water at the most distant fixture and every fixture in series, or close to the main water line. The bypass valve uses the cold water line as the return loop back to the water heater.
        Thanks
        GreatForum

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonG View Post
          Whatever it is that you do please dont put 230V to this your pump will be whistling dixie!!!
          They make different models, the one I have is marked 230/1/60 for 230v single phase 60hz.

Comment

Originally posted by justin00stang View Post
            They make different models, the one I have is marked 230/1/60 for 230v single phase 60hz.

Oh never seen one.......Guess I learned somthing new? Whats the run couple hundred feet? You would almost never need a recirc pump that runs off 240V

Comment

I like to use the Laing ACT303BTW under counter resurc pump works great and save the trouble of runiing a line back to your water heater

Comment

Working...
              X