Learning to use a sectional..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to use a sectional..

A thought or question came to me while reading the drum machine thread. How much of a learning curve is there going from a drum machine to a sectional?

Plumber Rick is going to get all excited thinking he may have a new convert!
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Re: Learning to use a sectional..

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
    A thought or question came to me while reading the drum machine thread. How much of a learning curve is there going from a drum machine to a sectional?

Plumber Rick is going to get all excited thinking he may have a new convert!
    Biggest thing is hand coordination. Many long time drum users push down on the clutch and also try to pull the cable out at the same time. The trick is to pull out enough slack, then push the clutch feed the spinning cable in, release the clutch and get more slack and repeat. Also there is no real torque like a drum machine, so you need to keep the cutter spinning and let it cut the roots. Where a drum machine if the cutter gets caught you can build up the torque to tear the roots out. It does take some practice but can be learned.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

i used to be a drum man. i'm still unsure on the sectional. it feels different. the sectional is a lot lighter. that is a big plus!
      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

I have a septic truck that they were supposed to build a tool box for a spartan 300. They built it for a 100. So my thought was buy a K-60 and put it in the small box. I'm not sure if the cables will fit though. One of these days when I have some cash ahead (yeah right) I'll have the rep out to demonstrate one and see if it will fit for sure.

How much do the K-60's go for generally?
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

you might want to ask Mark. he owns stock in a certain co. in Las Vegas
          i've already contributed to Marks retirement program. more to come this year!
          Last edited by Jerad; 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM.
          the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Get a larger hand cranker.

J.C.

Comment

it's pretty much hand and eye coordination. you'll get the feel pretty fast.

adam mastered it in 1 day of on the job snaking.

the clutch / handle is a life saver when entering a drain. no overrunning drums.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I learned by on the job training. By myself. It all depends on you. If you have mechanical aptitude, you pick it up quicker. I had it pretty much dicked by my 3rd job.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Get a larger hand cranker.

J.C.
                  I rented a big general hand-cranker to try to clear my main line one time. What a workout! Needless to say I callled a guy I knew who cleans drains to come and use his k-60 when he got off work. That did the trick! Its been good for quite some time now.

Comment

Working...
                  X