X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cables come apart

I have the K-60, only used it twice so far, and both times it came apart where one cable is joined to the other. I was lucky enough to retrieve the cable before it got stuck in the sewer. What am I doing wrong?

Re: cables come apart

What kind of cables do you have?

J.C.

Comment

When you connect the cable ends together you have to make sure that the spring loaded pin pops into place. Try some penetrant first before getting new ends or cables.

Comment

I've been using the 7/8" cables, and checking the connection before starting

Comment

without attaching the cables together, how does the spring and pin feel? is there spring tension?

i've never had my 7/8'' disconnect and i've used them hundreds and hundreds of times. i do keep them lubed to prevent a sticky pin and spring.

are these factory ridgid c-10 cables and how old are they?

typically there is a code date stamped into the coupler. what is it?

i think renee is back to work and she can assist you in helping you solve this problem.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

There is tension.

The cables are from ridgid C-10, and only used twice, so ... brand new... just got the machine and cables in spring this year.

Who is Renee, how can she help? and how do I contact her?

Comment

How are you checking the connection?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                How are you checking the connection?
                I run mine through the belt loops and run around in the yard first.

J.C.

Comment

yeah, check ing and double checking... now scared to use it again cos it's costly to get a cable removed as you must know. I've used similar cables for years. I thought maybe there was something different with the ridgid, some little thing I was missing. If not, then it seems like this might be a 'friday afternoon special' ?

Comment

how I check : check tension in pin first, then put the cables together with pin, then check the strength of the joint by rocking and twisting clockwise/anti-clockwise.

Comment

Try looking in the hole to verify you can see the pin. Also, twisting does nothing as it's the male and female coupling hitting each other. Maybe if you tried to slide the cable apart?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

yea, i slide. i will try looking in the hole for the pin.

Thanks everyone

Comment

[QUOTE=tshirt;259293]There is tension.

The cables are from ridgid C-10, and only used twice, so ... brand new... just got the machine and cables in spring this year.

Who is Renee, how can she help? and how do I contact her?[/QUOTE]

renee is the product manager and she will get this message come tomorrow

if the spring has tension and the pin has inserted all the way into the coupler, there's no reason to come apart.

i hope you will trust this connection, as i've never had 1 fail

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

tshirt,

I would like to take a look at the cables that you are using. I sent you a personal message with my phone number. Our cables are always run through a detailed quality inspection in our Orange, VA plant. Lets see what the issue is so we can get you back up and running your K-60 again!

Thanks
                            Renee
                            Renee

Product Manager

RIDGID Drain Cleaning

Comment

The only time I ever had cables come apart on me is when there is a lot of debris inside the windings of the cable and it actually had enough pressure to push the pin while I was rodding. Ever since that happened to me the one time, I always try to clear as much of the debris out of the windings with each pass.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X