X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winterizing sewer ejector

What are your thoughts on winterizing underground sewer ejectors.

I've been told by some to drain the pump pit, disconnect the pump and drain any water in it. Leave the back flow alone and cover the pit with hay for added protection.
    I think this leaves the back flow at too much risk to freeze.

I've also been told by some to leave the system alone and just cover the pit with some hay for added protection.

??????

What do you normally do to winterize sewer ejectors?

Note: These are normally at summer camps and the owners usually come up once or twice during the winter for a couple of days and would like to be able to flush with a bucket and drain the sink etc..
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: winterizing sewer ejector

In a basement I presume?

I've never had to do it, so I haven't put much thought in it.

I would think if you drain out the water above the check valve and leave the ball valve (if there is one) half open it would be fine. I don't think a little water in the pit would be a problem. I suppose you could put a little antifreeze in the pit for good measure?

All bets are off once they start running that pump, though.

Comment

i tend to be very conservative on winterizing. i pump rv anti-freeze through everything. i get to repair the air boys work every spring. if they wont to use ejector, no problemo. they need you to redo the winterizing. you are about 8 deg f colder than we are. if you are to expensive leave your card. when hacks do one here they wont return to repair it. i have one customer that has had the handy hack winterize his place for the last 3 years. for the last 3 springs he's had me out to repair the freeze up. 13 spots last year. penny wise pound foolish. what a deal. breid............

Comment

Air, in conjunction with vacuum, works if done right. So far I've only had one break and thats because I missed something.
        I charge a lot more then most for winterizing but my price includes returning to open up and checking everything. Any breaks are repaired on my dime.

Thats why i'd like to know more about outside/underground ejectors. So far I've been winging it as the situation dictates, and so far I have not had a problem, but lately I'm seeing more of them and I'd rather not have to buy someone a new one.

I like the idea of rv anti freeze being pumped into the water system as far as ease of use and the results, but I'm still not comfortable pumping chemicals into someones water supply. I know it's "safe" and "non-toxic" but it is made in China.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Oh...forgot to ask.
          How are you using rv anti freeze on the ejector?

Comment

Working...
          X