X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing section of oversized boiler

All things being equal, I wouldn't consider it. However, I've found a brand new, in the crate Burnham MPO189 with burner for about $800 less than wholesale. I've been looking to replace my boiler but after a carefull heatloss calc I'm at about 90k max and the burnham has an output of about 145k, so that doesn't quite cut it. But the MPO147 would be perfect......

So here's my thought: They're the same boiler, only one section larger. If I go over the parts list they are the same, save the extra middle section and about 6" of threaded rod. Maybe the interior baffles and the outside boiler jacket would have to get trimmed back with a pair of shears, bend a new edge with a break and TAAADAAA!!!!!

I figure I've got 3 options:

1.) Don't bother, I'm asking for trouble.
    2.) Leave the MPO189 the size it came, remove the interior baffles and downfire it low enough but still stay above 350 degree stack temp. A 50% increase in standby loss, but that should be minimal with the forced draft and 3" insulation.
    3.) Remove the section and all the extra work that would entail, but what the heck, $800 is a lot of oil.

Has anyone else bothered with something like this?

Re: Removing section of oversized boiler

The Burnham MPO147 is NOT perfect for you if you are considering tearing it apart

Ive replaced a few bad seals on large commercial boilers but what a PITA! I would never consider breaking down a packaged boiler.

I don't recommend downfiring more than 25% or you won't keep the stack temps high enough. It also will probably lead to other problems down the road.

If your boiler is working fine then sell the Burnham for as much as you can during the middle of winter and buy the right size for you.

Comment

Matt,You are SOO lucky to have BARRY'S council! You dodged a bullet. He drinks John Jameson Irish Whiskey.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'll go one further , I wouldn't put a Burnham anything in a dog house
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

I would never consider breaking down a packaged boiler.
          Yeah, that's what I figured. I just was just thinking new, in the garage, all the tools and nice and clean: How hard could it be?

Comment

Never attempted this procedure but have done it a hundred times with cast iron radiators. Be sure to use new seals when reassembling. Pressure test it to 50 lbs. overnight before putting the jacket back on.

Off course any warranty is out the window.

Comment

seems like too much aggravation, he also needs to rebuild the firebox, doesnt he and those things arent easy to pop apart without cracking a section,

Comment

I still vote for the idea of selling it to some unfortunate heat-less person in the middle of winter! (which is just about here where I live ) . To me, breaking that thing down right out of the box is just asking for an explosion.

Just my two cents.
                -Mark

Comment

Originally posted by nhmatt View Post
                  Yeah, that's what I figured. I just was just thinking new, in the garage, all the tools and nice and clean: How hard could it be?
                  Like they say " You can do it,We can laugh! "
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                  X