X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking pvc pipe

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question.
    I have a spa that is leaking from a schedule 40 pvc 90 fitting that has a flex hose glued in it. The leak is at the bottom of the fitting I was wondering if I could clean it and put some new glue around the outside? I had a spa company look at it and they wanted to replace the filter body because the pvc 90 is glued into the filter body and they said they have no idea how to remove the flex pipe or to fix the leak with out cutting the filter body out and the old pvc fitting. I asked them if they could cut the flex hose out and use a ram bit to open the fitting back up and glue a pvc pipe in with a coupler and they said they are not sure how to do that. I was wondering if any one has ever used a heat gun to heat a fitting up to take it apart? Thanks

Re: Leaking pvc pipe

I never have any luck with heat to seperate PVC.
    the rambit is probably the way to go.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Thanks for you reply. I was wondering if I had the right idea to cut the flex hose and use a ram bit and just glue a piece of pvc in and use a coupler? Any idea if lowes or home depot sell's a ram bit?

Comment

they may, if not a local plumbing supply house should. be sure to use primer as well as glue.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Thanks again for the reply. I will call the local supply house here in town.

Comment

I've done it with a torch, hacksaw blade, screwdriver, & pliers.

Got to saw the hose loose. Cut a slit in the hose that's in the 90. Then heat it some and push the screwdriver in the edge near the slit. Trying to get a piece up to hold onto with pliers. (sometimes good/strong needlnose). And begin to roll, heat, and peel it out.

Sometimes it comes out with medium effort. Sometimes it's more aggravating.

J.C.

NOTE: THIS IS HOW I'VE DONE IT ON PVC PIPE AND FITTING CONNECTIONS. NOT HOSE AND PVC CONNECTIONS.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I would think that if that works on pvc pipe then it should work on the flex hose. Or would the flex hose melt? Do you heat the outside of the 90 or the inside? Would a heat gun work? Thanks again

Comment

Remember, this is at your own risk. PVC heated can emit toxic fumes. And the glue & primer also. I'm assuming you have zero torch experience.

Use a heat gun. Heat the inside of the 90 after cutting the slit and while working the screwdriver some.

Common sense trial and error. Good luck. Post back how it turns out.

J.C.

Comment

jc is right

go slow. i would try a hair dryer first. i use a pair vise grip needle points............ i have repaired drips by dumping water, DRYING out leak area (24 hrs + hair dryer), scrub leak area with pvc primer and toothbrush. let primer DRY then rub permatex blue rtv silicone in to leak area. let SET for 24 hours. i have done this multiple times on spas. no leaks. there is not much pressure in a tub. breid.............

Comment

breid1903 thanks for the reply. So the filter line does not have pressure on it? I was going to try to stick a wet and dry vac in the skimmer to get all the water out and then I will try to heat the pipe and let it sit over night and then try the permatex silicone. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                    X