X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical grounding/plumbing question

I did a search and I'm unable to find exactly what I'm looking for. I do recall this topic was discussed a while back so I apologize for being redundant.

My home is around 1966 vintage built on a slab. As the third owner I have no idea as to what the original grounding system is or was or for that matter if it's still viable.

I recently re-plumbed the entire house with Wisbro/Pex. From the water meter outside
    On the owner's side is all wisbro/Pex. I do have a short exposed copper connection up from the ground into the wall of the exterior of the house.

I have a copper manifold system. And all runs do stub out to a copper termination.

As an amateur radio operator I do have a significant ground system. 4 5/8x 10 foot [ul listed]copper clad ground rods in a 6 foot deep hole. they are tied together with 00 cable and then connects to two additional 5/8x10' [ul listed]copper clad ground rods. These also tie to a 70 foot crank up tower. The base of the tower is a 1" diameter rebar cage in a 4x4x8' hole with more ground rods at the bottom of the hole.

The electrical distribution panel ground is also tied to this ground system with a 00 cable.

Basically, all ground rods are tied together [bonded] with 00 cable.

I think that's plenty of information.....

The question is.....Do I need to tie the copper manifold system or the short run of copper at the front of the house to the "ground system"???? If I do then I'll need to install another ground rod at the front of the house at the copper run. This could possibly cause a ground loop dilemma.

There does not seem to be any electrical challenges I'm just concerned about that infamous "cold water ground connection"

Cactus Man

Re: electrical grounding/plumbing question

New services in our area get 2 ground rods for the entrance panel. I drive them with a elec jack hammer
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

you might post this on the electricians forum. breid..........

Comment

Never ground to the metallic plumbing inside or outside the house.
        The electrolytic action dissolves the metal.Even a phone line ground is bad.
        You only need one ground rod at the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by sunworksco View Post
          Code requires us to to bond water heaters
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by sunworksco View Post
            That is NOT true everywhere! S.F. amendments require 2 ground rods for service. We wire our own projects,

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              That is NOT true everywhere! S.F. amendments require 2 ground rods for service. We wire our own projects,
              I am not questioning your statement, but I am curious--what does two ground rods do that one doesn't?

Comment

2 ground rods here as well. wired in series. Not sure what the purpose of the second one is.

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                I am not questioning your statement, but I am curious--what does two ground rods do that one doesn't?
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post

250.56 Resistance of Rod, Pipe, and Plate Electrodes.

A single electrode consisting of a rod, pipe, or plate that does
                  not have a resistance to ground of 25 ohms or less shall be
                  augmented by one additional electrode of any of the types
                  specified by 250.52(A)(2) through (A)(7). Where multiple
                  rod, pipe, or plate electrodes are installed to meet the requirements
                  of this section, they shall not be less than 1.8 m

(6 ft) apart.
                  In Connecticut, even if you can prove 25 ohms or less resistance the AHJ will still require 2 ground rods.

Comment

I believe the true requirment is the restance to ground, not nessarly the number of ground rods, even tho the max reqirment is only two rods, thus the two rods are driven as it is probly easer and less time involved than measuring the restance to ground and will meet code, regardless of soils or moisture levels.
                    http://www.mikeholt.com/videodisplaynew.php?pageid=4134
                    250.56 Resistance of Ground Rod Electrode.

When the resistance of a single ground rod is over 25 ohms, an additional electrode is required to augment the ground rod electrode, and it must be installed not less than 6 ft away. Figure 250–105
                    Author’s Comment: No more than two ground rods are required, even if the total resistance of the two parallel ground rods exceeds 25 ohms.
                    much more info at the link above in the quote box.

A 12 part series on the subject of grounding and bonding,
                    http://ecmweb.com/topics/grounding-vs-bonding/

this section may answer your questions on the plumbing
                    http://ecmweb.com/grounding/electric...vs_bonding_10/
                    Last edited by BHD; 11-07-2009, 11:37 AM.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

We wire to S.F. code,inspectors wouldn't have it any other way! TWO RODS!

Comment

if i remember right the inspector has the final word. even if they are wrong, what is wisdom about arguing over it? somehow it doesn't look very professional to the customer to arguing about it. they just want the job done. breid..............

Comment

Working...
                        X