X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The correct way

Every few years I have to call a plumber to clean a slow running drain. This drain is for the washer, kitchen sink and dishwasher. It is not a root problem it is lint and hair which I assume is coming from the washer. All they have ever ran down the drain pipe is a 1/2" cable with no cutters, this is a 2 inch drain line and it does have a clean out that they are using. Is this a proper fix or are they just looking to clear it enough to get the money and run? As the customer do I have the right to refuse to let them do the work if all they are going to run is a cable with no cutters?
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Re: The correct way

The largest head possible should be used for drain cleaning.
    It doesn't have to be a cutter head per se if the stoppage is soft,
    but it should be big enough to scrape the inside of the pipe,
    especially a utility and kitchen line that is subject to heavy
    build up. Another factor is how the line is plumbed. Are there
    90's, is there proper pitch? Is it being snaked far enough?
    Then again, every few years isn't bad.

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply. This answers my question about just using a 1/2" cable to punch through it. The problem in this part of the country is it seems that plumbers don't do drain cleaning and you have to call a drain service. I have to say that most of the ones that have been here didn't impress me as to there knowledge of the equipment they were. For my second question if they pull a drain cleaner off the truck and plan to just push a cable through can I legally send them on there way without paying a service call?
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

If there is a short turn 90 at the base of the stack they may not be able to get a full size cutter head down it. But like the previous poster said 2yrs isn't to bad, its possible the drain is back pitched or corroded, it wouldn't matter if they jetted the line it would still plug back up eventually.

Comment

you have the right stop them anyplace during the job. now what you have to pay, i don't know arkansaw law. my guess is you will have to pay the service call if they come out. why not ask them and or tell them before they come out. i will warn you that this cut down on response. breid..................

Comment

your calling a professional plumber to your house. if you think he is not doing his job correctly, go to home depot and rent a small drum machine and do it yourself. *Tip-buy a 2 dollar lint trap while your at home depot.

Comment

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
              your calling a professional plumber to your house. if you think he is not doing his job correctly, go to home depot and rent a small drum machine and do it yourself. *Tip-buy a 2 dollar lint trap while your at home depot.
              So what you are saying is that if someone is unhappy with the performance of a professional plumber his only alternative is to do it himself?
              When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

the only real cable that has a chance to clean a line with no cutters is an open wind sectional cable. for 2'' i suggest 5/8'', but it's not uncommon for me to use 7/8''.

the open wind will act as an auger and scrape the pipe the entire length.

the best cutter for a laundry drain is a 4 blade cutter. this will scour the walls and not leave much behind.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick, if I understad what you are saying what they are doing is ok with the exception you would use a larger cable.
                  SSG, U.S. Army
                  Retired
                  K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I asked for advice in here becasue I didn't know if the drain services that have been out were doing the job properly. With an answer like this good luck getting repeat bussiness if you answer your customers questions like this.
                    SSG, U.S. Army
                    Retired
                    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
                      I asked for advice in here becasue I didn't know if the drain services that have been out were doing the job properly. With an answer like this good luck getting repeat bussiness if you answer your customers questions like this.
                      .....valid point. i guess there are some that think if you don't call them, then you deserve heart-ache. it may also be that they think do-it-yourselfers are beneath them. jmo

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
                        Thanks Rick, if I understad what you are saying what they are doing is ok with the exception you would use a larger cable.
                        not exactly. a 1/2'' cable is a drum machine and a tight wind cable. with laundry and kitchen you have soap, lint and grease.

a jetter is the best for this and a sectional is next. a 1/2'' drum cable without a cutter is just stirring up the muck and making room in the pipe. it's not really cleaning the line, but clearing the stoppage.

a typical drum rotates at 170- 200 rpm while a sectional rotates at 400-625 rpm's. the open wind also acts as an auger/ funnel to move and break up the muck. a slower spinning tight wind cable is not cleaning, but displacing the muck.

i do alot of camera work for other companies and i can tell you that a sectional has done a much better job overall.

every company that i show the cleaning power and safety issue to is always impressed and they want 1 for themselves.

so to answer your question, they are taking a lazy shortcut. 1/2'' cables come with couplers to run blades. blades are what scrape the pipe and do the cleaning. the cable is the rod that rotates the blades down the line.

hope this clears this up

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks again Rick. I am going to print this out so I can ask the right questions next time I have a problem. You did confirm what I was thinking about doing it the fast and lazy way rather than doing the job correctly.
                          SSG, U.S. Army
                          Retired
                          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

at least the tip is good info.

taddeeper, not trying to ding you, but when calling a pro, we all expect professional results.

is no cutter acceptable no.

cutters are what this cable was designed for.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Not sure what is meant by getting a lint trap. My washer does not use a wash tub, it has a stand pipe it drains into. Where would I put a lint trap? I searched both the HD and lowes sites for a lint trap and the only return was for a dryer vent lint trap.
                              Last edited by TOD; 11-10-2009, 11:25 AM.
                              SSG, U.S. Army
                              Retired
                              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
                              X